August 31, 2022
Morning Consult conducted a survey, commissioned by Center for Responsible Lending. The poll is presented as a short Powerpoint-style slide deck with key takeaways and charts.
Key findings include:
- Millions struggled to meet their basic needs due to the burden of student debt
- Low-income borrowers in loan forgiveness programs were more likely to skip meals and face wage garnishment throughout the pandemic
- The COVID-19 pandemic forced one-third of student debt borrowers to use savings or credit cards to meet overall expenses
- The payment pause helped roughly 40 percent of student loan borrowers pay for daily expenses (food, gas, transportation, etc.)
- The poll shows strong bipartisan support for student debt cancellation and other student debt relief options