The Center for Responsible Lending is seeking a Specialist Assistant to the President to join our team in Washington, DC or Durham, NC. The Special Assistant will provide critical high-level support to the President of the Center for Responsible Lending and the other executive management of the organization. The multifaceted role of the Special Assistant will include a range of responsibilities that facilitate the operation and execution of the organization’s management. The position provides an opportunity to be deeply involved in work to ensure that responsible financial services are available that provide opportunity and ownership to low and moderate income families and families of color. The Special Assistant will work in a diverse and inclusive social justice organization. The position will entail some travel, primarily to North Carolina and/or Washington, DC.
- Serve as a liaison between the CRL President, Executive leadership and Team Leaders and other staff that manage the operations, research, education and advocacy work of the organization.
- Track and help prioritize activities with CRL that require the President’s attention.
- Provide support to the management meetings of the President and Executive leadership, including agenda management and monitoring and follow up.
- Work with managers to organize and mobilize organizational resources around new CRL initiatives.
- Support the President’s relationships with the organization’s Board, key partners and allies, funders, regulators, and the media. For example, prepare for and brief President prior to events, speaking engagements, and meetings regarding important developments and follow-up on resulting action items.
- Examples of potential projects include: Support goal-setting and organizational planning; brief the President and Executive leadership on pending major CRL projects; assist with editing documents; and conduct research on emerging issues under consideration for action. Assist with the preparation and materials for Board meetings.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree and 3-5 years of related professional experience, which could include: project operation and development, management support experience and similar responsibilities. Additional degrees may substitute or enhance experience requirements.
- Excellent verbal, writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skill- ability to work effectively in varied professional and cultural contexts.
- A self-starter and fast learner, able to successfully multi-task and function well with minimal direction. Effective in working behind the scenes.
- Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth borrowers and communities, and a desire to work in a racially and social diverse organization.
- Interest and commitment to social justice work.
- Commitment to teamwork and the development of colleagues.
- Willingness to work hours reflective of a CEO-level position and occasionally travel.
- Experience with other social justice organizations and experience with planning and project implementation.
- Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, send resume and cover letter, describing why you are a fit for this position, to email@example.com. Please include the position title as the subject. Application must be received by October 26, 2018 to ensure consideration. Applications received after this date may or may not be considered, depending on the applicant pool. The position will remain posted until filled.
The Center for Responsible Lending is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization dedicated to protecting homeownership and family wealth by working to eliminate abusive financial practices. CRL provides research and technical policy expertise to help policymakers evaluate consumer protection options and wealth-building opportunities. We educate consumers and the media about predatory lending issues, work with local and national coalitions to push for change, and take part in selected legal cases to advance consumer protections. CRL's work has helped lead to major changes in lending practices, saving families over $2 billion annually. For more information, go to www.responsiblelending.org.
Self-Help, CRL's affiliate, is a community development lender founded in 1980 that creates and protects ownership and economic opportunity for minority, women-headed, rural and low-wealth families through home and small business lending. Self-Help has provided $6 billion in financing to 70,000 homebuyers, small businesses and nonprofit organizations and serves more than 80,000 mostly low-income families through 30 retail credit union branches in North Carolina, California, and Chicago.
The Center for Responsible Lending is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.