CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Seven Ideas for a Fair Student Loan Servicing System
Published: May 14 2015 Issue: Student Loans
- Safe Student Bank Accounts
Published: Apr 29 2015 Issue: Student Loans
When colleges and banks team up to market bank accounts to students, protecting students' loan funds may take last place in the deal. Instead of helping students find the best account for them,...
- Overdraft U: Student Bank Accounts Often Loaded with High Overdraft Fees
Published: Mar 27 2015 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Student Loans
- Memorandum on Legal Authority for Cash Management Rule
Published: Feb 23 2015 Issue: Student Loans
On August 20, 2014, the Department received a joint memorandum from the American Bankers Association (ABA) and Consumer Bankers Association (CBA),1 arguing that the Department did not have...
- Do Students of Color Profit from For-Profit College?
Published: Oct 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
A post-secondary education is increasingly necessary in order to obtain a high-quality job and a lifetime of financial security and wealth-building opportunities. Many students finance their...
- For-Profit Colleges Saddle African-American and Latino Students with Crushing Debt, Poor Employment Prospects
Published: Apr 24 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Enrolling in a for-profit college usually means higher costs of attendance and higher default rates on student loans. This policy brief explores why students of color – African-American and Latino...
- The State of Lending: Student Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Student Loans
A college education is critical in today's competitive job market. but post-secondary education has never been more expensive. Most U.S. families rely on student loans to help finance a college...