CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- The State of Lending: Debt Settlement
Published: Jun 30 2014 Issue: Debt Settlement
Debt settlement companies offer the promise of settling a consumer’s debt for a fraction of what they owe. Unfortunately debt settlement carries significant risks that may result in consumers...
- The State of Lending: Debt Collection and Debt Buying
Published: Apr 30 2014 Issue: Debt Collection
The debt collection industry is a rapidly expanding business, with revenue increasing up to 600 percent between 2003 and 2012. Private companies buy billions of dollars of charged-off debt from...
- For-Profit Colleges Saddle African-American and Latino Students with Crushing Debt, Poor Employment Prospects
Published: Apr 24 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Enrolling in a for-profit college usually means higher costs of attendance and higher default rates on student loans. This policy brief explores why students of color – African-American and Latino...
- Negotiating on Car Loans Doesn’t Help African Americans and Latinos
Published: Jan 23 2014 Issue: Auto Financing
Trying to negotiate a better interest rate on your car loan should generally result in a better deal, right? Not so for buyers of color who get loans from dealers.
- A Roll of the Dice: Debt Settlement Still a Risky Strategy for Debt-Burdened Households
Published: Nov 19 2013 Issue: Debt Settlement
Debt settlement programs too often are not the solution they are marketed to be, according to this new CRL research.
- Effective State and Federal Payday Lending Enforcement: Paving the Way for Broader, Stronger Protections
Published: Oct 4 2013 Issue: Payday Loans
The predatory features of payday loans, and the impact of their long-term debt on consumers, have in recent years drawn the attention of legislators and regulators. Policymakers at all levels have...
- Poll Shows Strong Consumer Support for Financial Regulation
Published: Sep 11 2013 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Over 90 percent of likely voters support financial regulation.
- The State of Lending: Payday Loans
Published: Sep 10 2013 Issue: Payday Loans
Payday loans—high-cost, quick-fix loans that trap borrowers in debt by design—cost cash-strapped American families $3.4 billion in fees every year. Of that number, more than two-thirds—$2.6...
- The State of Lending: Bank Payday Loans
Published: Sep 10 2013 Issue: Payday Loans, Bank Payday Loans
Even in the face of strong opposition by banking regulators, a few banks continue to make triple-digit payday loans. In this chapter, our analysis shows no meaningful distinction between...
- 2013 Update: The Spillover Costs of Foreclosures
Published: Aug 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The harm caused by over 12.5 million foreclosures is the focus of this brief, the fifth in a series of updated on related findings.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2013
Published: Jul 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Where foreclosures have hit the hardest and where the greatest need still remains in 2013 is the focus of this analysis on foreclosure counseling.
- The State of Lending: High-Cost Overdraft Fees
Published: Jul 30 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Many banks and credit unions continue to charge abusive fees on debit cards and checking accounts. In this report, "High-cost Overdraft Practices," CRL finds that, in spite of regulatory changes in...
- The State of Lending: Car-Title Loans
Published: Jul 11 2013 Issue: Car Title Loans
Car-title lending—making expensive loans secured by the title of a vehicle a borrower owns out-right—has become a multi-billion dollar industry in the U.S. over the last decade. CRL estimates that...
- Minority Homeownership Study Has Flawed Methodology and Conclusions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL rebuts working paper on minority homeownership, citing fundamental flaws and conclusions.
- Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists
Published: Mar 21 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Banks making payday loans continue to trap customers in a cycle of debt, according to a CRL study, "Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists." Banks pitch payday loans as short-term...
- Driven to Disaster: Car-Title Lending and Its Impact on Consumers
Published: Feb 28 2013 Issue: Car Title Loans
Research from CRL and Consumer Federation of America finds that car-title loans cost U.S. consumers $3.6 billion in interest on $1.6 billion in loans. According to the research, car-title lenders...
- The State of Lending in America and Its Impact on U.S. Households
Published: Dec 13 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
A series of three reports outlining predatory lending practices in consumer lending, and the regulatory and legislative actions needed to halt these practices and prevent future abuses.
- The State of Lending: America's Household Balance Sheet
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
This chapter in the State of Lending report series describes the overall financial status of U.S. households today--their income, spending, debts, and wealth. It tells the story of financial...
- The State of Lending: Student Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Student Loans
A college education is critical in today's competitive job market. but post-secondary education has never been more expensive. Most U.S. families rely on student loans to help finance a college...
- State of Lending: Foreword by Sheila Bair
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
State of Lending provides an across-the-board survey of financial products that Americans use to handle everyday transactions, buy homes and automobiles, and build savings and wealth. The report...