CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- The Party’s Over for Quickie Tax Loans: But Traps Remain for Unwary Taxpayers
Published: Feb 29 2012 Issue: Refund Anticipation Loans
The 2012 annual report on the tax refund anticipation loan (RAL) industry from the National Consumer Law Center and Consumer Federation of America.
- Letter to Bank Regulators: Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Feb 22 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Two hundred and fifty national, state and local organizations and individual advocates have asked bank regulators to stop banks from making predatory payday loans, which carry triple-digit annual...
- National mortgage Settlement is a game-changer
Published: Feb 17 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A lawsuit highlights possible foreclosure fraud, as loan servicing employees admit they don’t actually review foreclosure documents; instead they do "robo-signing.
- America's Top Consumer Cop Reports to Congress
Published: Jan 31 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) delivered its first agency’s first report to Congress January 31, 2012
- Highlights of the New Credit Card Rules: What They Do and Don’t Do
Published: Jan 26 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
Credit CARD Act of 2009 – Learn what the law does and does not cover.
- Balancing Risk and Access: Underwriting Standards for Qualified Residential Mortgages
Published: Jan 18 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mandatory down payments on mortgages would put fairly-priced loans out of reach for millions of creditworthy families.
- Comments on the Federal Housing Finance Agency Joint Initiative on Mortgage Servicing Issues
Published: Dec 27 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
FHFA has the mandate and the opportunity to improve mortgage servicing practices. CRL recommends incentives to encourage better service by loan servicers and to promote more timely and effective...
- Predatory Payday Lending
by Banks on the Rise
Published: Dec 2 2011 Issue: Payday Loans
Four big banks are making payday loans to customers, stripping funds from their checking accounts in a cycle of debt near 400% annual interest.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2011
Published: Dec 1 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Which areas of the U.S. have been hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis in 2011? Which areas have the greatest need for foreclosure counselors? This report analyzes 366 metropolitan and 577...
- Facing the Foreclosure Crisis:
Four Urgent Needs to Address Now.
Published: Nov 29 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This policy brief is a companion piece to CRL's foreclosure research, "Lost Ground, 2011." Here we discuss practical policies that would help stop the foreclosure epidemic and restore confidence in...
- Disparities in Mortgage Lending and Foreclosures: Maps and Data
Published: Nov 17 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Click on a state to view foreclosures and serious delinquencies by state and metropolitan area. Also: see 8 charts that break the information down further by demographics and income.
- Lost Ground, 2011: Disparities in Mortgage Lending and Foreclosures
Published: Nov 17 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's research shows we're not even halfway through the foreclosure crisis. "Lost Ground" covers the scope of the crisis, the impact by race and ethnicity, and foreclosures and serious...
- Amici Curiae CSJ and CRL in Guillaume
Published: Sep 26 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL filed an amicus brief to the New Jersey Supreme Court, advocating for strict compliance with New Jersey’s Fair Foreclosure Act and the federal Truth in Lending Act’s intentional reordering of...
- Comment to the Federal Reserve on Notice by Capital One to Acquire ING Bank
Published: Sep 20 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending commented on Capital One's proposed acquisistion of ING Bank at a public meeting held by Federal Reserve on September 20, 2011.
- Coalition Urges Strong Servicing Settlement that Holds Banks Accountable
Published: Aug 24 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As state Attorneys General wrap up their robo-signing investigation, CRL joins Americans for Financial Reform in urging AGs to produce a strong settlement for homeowners that prevents unnecessary...
- AFR Sign-on to OCC on Overdraft and Bank Payday
Published: Aug 9 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Consumer groups fear OCC proposed guidance may legitimize and facilitate the spread of payday lending by national banks, and banks would continue abusive overdraft practices—harming bank customers,...
- Comments to OCC on Overdraft and Bank Payday Loans
Published: Aug 9 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL filed comments to the OCC on August 8, 2011 urging them to strengthen rules on overdraft and bank payday lending. Automatic debit overdrafts, re-ordering of account transactions and direct...
- Qualified Residential Mortgages: How long does it take to save 10%?
Published: Aug 5 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
See how qualified residential mortgage proposals to require prospective homeowners to make a 10 percent down payment would arbitrarily lock creditworthy borrowers out of the market.
- QRM Comments: Mortgage Market of the Future can Produce Sensible Loans without High Down Payments
Published: Aug 2 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL offers comments to regulators on proposed risk retention rules, urging sensible rules that do not include mandated down payment requirements.
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Reserve Board re: Regulation Z: Proposed Rule on Ability to Pay and Qualified Mortgage
Published: Jul 22 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In its first formal comment to the CFPB, the Center for Responsible Lending supports new Dodd-Frank mortgage reforms and urges the CFPB to ensure that lenders have appropriate consequences if they...