CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Regulatory Compliance Costs and Small Financial Institutions
Published: May 9 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Mortgage Lending
CRL President Michael Calhoun testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the benefits of strong lending protections. Financial reform, including the CFPB, is good for American...
- Predatory Credit Card Lending: Unsafe, Unsound for Consumers and Lenders
Published: May 8 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
What hurts consumers financially hurts business. Losses in downturns mount faster at banks enagaging in unfair, deceptive practices. High-cost penalty fees, interest rates don’t mitigate risk—as...
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on Payday Lending Abuses
Published: Apr 23 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Payday Loans
Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on payday lending abuses on behalf of several organizations concerned about the documented abuses of payday lenders.
- Deal or No Deal: How Yo-Yo Scams Rig the Game against Car Buyers
Published: Apr 4 2012 Issue: Auto Financing
This latest paper by CRL provides a clear picture of the prevalence of yo-yo scams, insight into how yo-yo scams are perpetrated, and identifies which consumers are most likely to be targeted by...
- Summary of National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 14 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Forty-nine state attorneys generals and two government agencies have reached a $25 billion agreement with the nation's five largest mortgage servicers to address mortgage loan servicing and...
- The Party’s Over for Quickie Tax Loans: But Traps Remain for Unwary Taxpayers
Published: Feb 29 2012 Issue: Refund Anticipation Loans
The 2012 annual report on the tax refund anticipation loan (RAL) industry from the National Consumer Law Center and Consumer Federation of America.
- Letter to Bank Regulators: Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Feb 22 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Two hundred and fifty national, state and local organizations and individual advocates have asked bank regulators to stop banks from making predatory payday loans, which carry triple-digit annual...
- National mortgage Settlement is a game-changer
Published: Feb 17 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A lawsuit highlights possible foreclosure fraud, as loan servicing employees admit they don’t actually review foreclosure documents; instead they do "robo-signing.
- America's Top Consumer Cop Reports to Congress
Published: Jan 31 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) delivered its first agency’s first report to Congress January 31, 2012
- Highlights of the New Credit Card Rules: What They Do and Don’t Do
Published: Jan 26 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
Credit CARD Act of 2009 – Learn what the law does and does not cover.
- Balancing Risk and Access: Underwriting Standards for Qualified Residential Mortgages
Published: Jan 18 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mandatory down payments on mortgages would put fairly-priced loans out of reach for millions of creditworthy families.
- Comments on the Federal Housing Finance Agency Joint Initiative on Mortgage Servicing Issues
Published: Dec 27 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
FHFA has the mandate and the opportunity to improve mortgage servicing practices. CRL recommends incentives to encourage better service by loan servicers and to promote more timely and effective...
- Predatory Payday Lending
by Banks on the Rise
Published: Dec 2 2011 Issue: Payday Loans
Four big banks are making payday loans to customers, stripping funds from their checking accounts in a cycle of debt near 400% annual interest.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2011
Published: Dec 1 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Which areas of the U.S. have been hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis in 2011? Which areas have the greatest need for foreclosure counselors? This report analyzes 366 metropolitan and 577...
- Facing the Foreclosure Crisis:
Four Urgent Needs to Address Now.
Published: Nov 29 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This policy brief is a companion piece to CRL's foreclosure research, "Lost Ground, 2011." Here we discuss practical policies that would help stop the foreclosure epidemic and restore confidence in...
- Disparities in Mortgage Lending and Foreclosures: Maps and Data
Published: Nov 17 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Click on a state to view foreclosures and serious delinquencies by state and metropolitan area. Also: see 8 charts that break the information down further by demographics and income.
- Lost Ground, 2011: Disparities in Mortgage Lending and Foreclosures
Published: Nov 17 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's research shows we're not even halfway through the foreclosure crisis. "Lost Ground" covers the scope of the crisis, the impact by race and ethnicity, and foreclosures and serious...
- Amici Curiae CSJ and CRL in Guillaume
Published: Sep 26 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL filed an amicus brief to the New Jersey Supreme Court, advocating for strict compliance with New Jersey’s Fair Foreclosure Act and the federal Truth in Lending Act’s intentional reordering of...
- Comment to the Federal Reserve on Notice by Capital One to Acquire ING Bank
Published: Sep 20 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending commented on Capital One's proposed acquisistion of ING Bank at a public meeting held by Federal Reserve on September 20, 2011.
- Coalition Urges Strong Servicing Settlement that Holds Banks Accountable
Published: Aug 24 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As state Attorneys General wrap up their robo-signing investigation, CRL joins Americans for Financial Reform in urging AGs to produce a strong settlement for homeowners that prevents unnecessary...