CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Ability to Repay Standards under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z)
Published: Feb 25 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and allies comment on CFPB proposal that addresses two issues critical to the future of safe, sustainable, and affordable access to mortgage credit. First, it considers how to define...
- CRL Response to CoreLogic Analysis of Qualified Mortgage (QM) Standards
Published: Feb 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL identifies some problems with CoreLogic's QM analysis of the percent of mortgage loans that would not meet QM standards
- CRL tells CFPB the CARD Act Works, Encourages Risk-based Pricing
Published: Feb 19 2013 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments submitted by the Center for Responsible Lending to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in response to the Request for Information Regarding Credit Card Market. The CARD Act has made...
- CRL Comments to CFPB 0n Proposed Remittance Transfer Rule
Published: Jan 29 2013 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Comments submitted by CRL and National Council of La Raza concerning the proposed revision of theConsumer Financial Protection Bureau to its final rulemaking onremittance transfers under the...
- Qualified Mortgage Rulemaking: Protecting Borrowers from the Next Lending Crisis
Published: Jan 10 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Dodd‐Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act requires lenders to determine whether borrowers can repay a mortgage before that transaction takes place -- by making loans that meet a...
- U.S. Senators ask Regulators to Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Jan 7 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Five U.S. Senators have asked the OCC, the FDIC and the Federal Reserve to stop the banks under their respective jurisdictions from making predatory payday loans. At least four big banks have...
- The State of Lending in America and Its Impact on U.S. Households
Published: Dec 13 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
A series of three reports outlining predatory lending practices in consumer lending, and the regulatory and legislative actions needed to halt these practices and prevent future abuses.
- The State of Lending: Credit Cards
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
Credit cards are one of the most common purchasing tools used by Americans, and many low- and middle-income households rely on credit cards to pay for basic living costs. In the past, credit card...
- The State of Lending: Auto Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Auto Financing
The affordability and sustainability of auto financing can have a big impact on many U.S. households. Purchasing a car is a complicated endeavor, and the sales price, trade-in value, and financing...
- The State of Lending: Mortgages
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Even with the recent decline in house prices, owning a home can bestow more financial and non-financial benefits than any other single asset. This means more economic mobility and financial...
- The State of Lending: America's Household Balance Sheet
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
This chapter in the State of Lending report series describes the overall financial status of U.S. households today--their income, spending, debts, and wealth. It tells the story of financial...
- The State of Lending: Student Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Student Loans
A college education is critical in today's competitive job market. but post-secondary education has never been more expensive. Most U.S. families rely on student loans to help finance a college...
- CRL Comments on Proposed Rules for NCUA Payday Alternatives Loan Program
Published: Nov 30 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL urges the NCUA to structure their Payday Alternatives Loan (PAL) program to reflect the broad range of alternatives, to prevent the program from operating like a series of high-cost payday...
- CRL and NCLC Comments on Wells Fargo Payday Lending and CRA Examination
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Wells Fargo's direct engagement in payday lending should have a significant negative impact on their upcoming Community Reinvestment Act evaluation.
- Congress: Extend Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Center for Responsible lending joined with Financial Services Roundtable and Housing Policy Council to ask Congress to extend the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act.
- Collateral Damage: The Spillover Cost of Foreclosures
Published: Oct 24 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
When families lose their homes to foreclosure, their nearby neighbors lose value on their properties. This report estimates this "spillover" cost nationwide will be nearly $2 trillion. Over half of...
- CRL Comments To the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau RE: Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z) and Loan Originator Compensation
Published: Oct 16 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL affirms that limits on loan originator compensation contained in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and in Regulation Z are important consumer protections that...
- Making Mortgage Servicing More Effective: Comments to the CFPB
Published: Oct 9 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In comments submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, CRL makes a number of recommendations to help ensure loan servicers give distressed mortgages a timely, efficient and...
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2012
Published: Oct 3 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This 2012 research brief identifies which metro and rural areas are hardest hit by foreclosures and remain areas of greatest need for additional foreclosure counseling resources.
- The Future of Homeownership
Published: Sep 21 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
After years of steady progress, the homeownership rate in America has seen its biggest drop since the Great Depression. Today we have an opportunity to return to a stable lending environment with...