CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- The State of Lending: Student Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Student Loans
A college education is critical in today's competitive job market. but post-secondary education has never been more expensive. Most U.S. families rely on student loans to help finance a college...
- CRL Comments on Proposed Rules for NCUA Payday Alternatives Loan Program
Published: Nov 30 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL urges the NCUA to structure their Payday Alternatives Loan (PAL) program to reflect the broad range of alternatives, to prevent the program from operating like a series of high-cost payday...
- CRL and NCLC Comments on Wells Fargo Payday Lending and CRA Examination
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Wells Fargo's direct engagement in payday lending should have a significant negative impact on their upcoming Community Reinvestment Act evaluation.
- Congress: Extend Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Center for Responsible lending joined with Financial Services Roundtable and Housing Policy Council to ask Congress to extend the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act.
- Collateral Damage: The Spillover Cost of Foreclosures
Published: Oct 24 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
When families lose their homes to foreclosure, their nearby neighbors lose value on their properties. This report estimates this "spillover" cost nationwide will be nearly $2 trillion. Over half of...
- CRL Comments To the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau RE: Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z) and Loan Originator Compensation
Published: Oct 16 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL affirms that limits on loan originator compensation contained in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and in Regulation Z are important consumer protections that...
- Making Mortgage Servicing More Effective: Comments to the CFPB
Published: Oct 9 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In comments submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, CRL makes a number of recommendations to help ensure loan servicers give distressed mortgages a timely, efficient and...
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2012
Published: Oct 3 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This 2012 research brief identifies which metro and rural areas are hardest hit by foreclosures and remain areas of greatest need for additional foreclosure counseling resources.
- The Future of Homeownership
Published: Sep 21 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
After years of steady progress, the homeownership rate in America has seen its biggest drop since the Great Depression. Today we have an opportunity to return to a stable lending environment with...
- CRL Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on RESPA and TILA (Regulations X and Z)
Published: Sep 7 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL offers supports the Bureau's consumer protection proposal for mortgage rules and disclosures for high-cost (HOEPA) loans. But it urges CFPB to be vigilant about evasions of HOEPA and to adopt...
- A Government-Mandated 10% Down Payment: Bad for Families, the Housing Market and the Economy
Published: Aug 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Decades of lending have shown that low down payment lending can be successful. Excluding millions of good borrowers from the mainstream mortgage market would be a serious mistake.
- Qualified Residential Mortgages: Down Payment Rules Threaten Home Buyers—and the Economy
Published: Aug 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The housing market of the future can drive economic growth without shutting out responsible home buyers. Find reports, data and other resources on Qualified Residential Mortgages.
- Letter to Regulators on Down Payments (QRM Requirements)
Published: Aug 30 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and six other organizations submit comments to regulators explaining why government-mandated down payments would be damaging to lower- and middle-income families and the housing market as a whole.
- "Qualified Residential Mortgages" -- the Negative Impact of a Government-Mandated 10 Percent Down Payment
Published: Aug 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On August 29, 2012, CRL and several other organizations submitted a letter to federal and financial regulators opposing a government-mandated down payment requirement as part of the pending...
- H.R. 6139: Payday Lender Carve-out Will Undermine Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and States
Published: Aug 27 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Carve-outs for payday lenders will undermine state protections and CFPB.
- Comment to CFPB: The financial exploitation of older Americans
Published: Aug 20 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
CRL told the CFPB of abusive financial practices against older Americans. More than 13 million older adults live on $21,800 a year or less. Further, the average credit card debt for these consumers...
- Comments on Enterprise Housing Goals
Published: Jul 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and Empire Justice Center submitted comments to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on a proposed rule for the 2012-2014...
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- CRL's Testimony: A National Payday Charter Is A Bad Idea
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Car Title Loans, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Installment Loans, Payday Loans
Testimony of Kenneth W. Edwards Vice President of Federal Affairs, Center for Responsible Lending, before the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial...
- CRL Tells CFPB: Prepaid Cards Lack Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
The CFPB should prohibit overdraft and credit features on prepaid cards.