CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Borrowers can file class actions to void illegal loans
Published: May 8 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus brief in support of the plaintiff class in Andrews v. Chevy Chase Bank, FSB. CRL argues that the Truth in Lending Act allows a borrower, who was one of thousands of borrowers who...
- Comment: Proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending
Published: May 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending submits the following comments on the proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending.
- Calhoun: Are Legislative Remedies to Limit Predatory Lending Really Remedies?
Published: Mar 29 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun argues that legislative remedies to limit predatory lending have helped, but not solved the problem
- Subprime Lending is a Drain on Home Ownership
Published: Mar 27 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Subprime Lending leads to a decrease in homeownership
- Foreclosure, Predatory Mortgage and Payday Lending
Published: Mar 21 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending, Payday Loans
Testimony discusses development of subprime market, inequities and foreclosures having a devastating effect in areas including urban areas with high concentrations of minorities
- Case Study in Subprime Hybrid ARM Refinance Outcomes
Published: Feb 21 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Comment: To Department of Defense on Military Lending Act
Published: Feb 8 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Payday Loans
Comments on Military Lending Act submitted to Department of Defense by Consumer Coalition on Feb. 5, 2007.
- Preserving the American Dream: Predatory Lending Practices and Home Foreclosures
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes discusses predatory lending and foreclosure crisis
- Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
- Small Loan CRA Comment
Published: Feb 2 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
CRL Comment to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on its proposed guidelines for affordable small-dollar loans.
- Debit Card Danger
Published: Jan 25 2007 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL report includes an analysis of bank account information and a survey of account holders, finds that bank customers have more overdrafts caused by a debit card purchase than by a written check,...
- CRL Review of "Defining and Detecting Predatory Lending" by Donald P. Morgan, Federal Reserve Bank of NY, January 2007
Published: Jan 23 2007 Issue: Payday Loans
CRL critiques faulty research report by Don Morgan, which attempts to compare states with and without payday lending but misidentifies many of those states.
- Banks in California cannot deduct overdraft fees from Social Security benefits
Published: Jan 22 2007 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the plaintiff class in Miller v. Bank of America. CRL argues that California law concerning banks' set-off powers forbid banks from deducting overdraft fees from...
- Losing Ground: Foreclosures in the Subprime Market and Their Cost to Homeowners
Published: Dec 19 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive, nationwide review of millions of subprime mortgages originated from 1998 through 3Q06. Report projected lifetime foreclosure rates for 2006-originated subprime loans in each MSA in...
- Financial Quicksand: Payday lending sinks borrowers in debt with $4.2 billion in predatory fees every year
Published: Nov 30 2006 Issue: Payday Loans
CRL research report finds that payday lending costs Americans $4.2 billion per year in fees.
- Comment: Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
Published: Oct 16 2006 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
- CRL Comment on Federal Reserve Analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data
Published: Oct 9 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Debbie Bocian's comment on the Fed's analysis of 2005 HMDA data.
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
Published: Sep 20 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- CRL Comment on OCC Working Paper #2006-1, "Foreclosures of Subprime Mortgages in Chicago"
Published: Sep 15 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL disputes the findings of an OCC study of subprime mortgage foreclosures in Chicago
- Federally chartered banks can't create subsidiaries that are exempt from state laws
Published: Sep 1 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus brief in support of Michigan Commissioner of Insurance and Financial Services Watters in Watters v. Wachovia Bank. CRL, along with a number of other consumer groups, argues that...