CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Subprime Lending is a Drain on Home Ownership
Published: Mar 27 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Subprime Lending leads to a decrease in homeownership
- Foreclosure, Predatory Mortgage and Payday Lending
Published: Mar 21 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending, Payday Loans
Testimony discusses development of subprime market, inequities and foreclosures having a devastating effect in areas including urban areas with high concentrations of minorities
- Case Study in Subprime Hybrid ARM Refinance Outcomes
Published: Feb 21 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Comment: To Department of Defense on Military Lending Act
Published: Feb 8 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Payday Loans
Comments on Military Lending Act submitted to Department of Defense by Consumer Coalition on Feb. 5, 2007.
- Preserving the American Dream: Predatory Lending Practices and Home Foreclosures
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes discusses predatory lending and foreclosure crisis
- Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
- Small Loan CRA Comment
Published: Feb 2 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
CRL Comment to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on its proposed guidelines for affordable small-dollar loans.
- Debit Card Danger
Published: Jan 25 2007 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL report includes an analysis of bank account information and a survey of account holders, finds that bank customers have more overdrafts caused by a debit card purchase than by a written check,...
- CRL Review of "Defining and Detecting Predatory Lending" by Donald P. Morgan, Federal Reserve Bank of NY, January 2007
Published: Jan 23 2007 Issue: Payday Loans
CRL critiques faulty research report by Don Morgan, which attempts to compare states with and without payday lending but misidentifies many of those states.
- Banks in California cannot deduct overdraft fees from Social Security benefits
Published: Jan 22 2007 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the plaintiff class in Miller v. Bank of America. CRL argues that California law concerning banks' set-off powers forbid banks from deducting overdraft fees from...
- Losing Ground: Foreclosures in the Subprime Market and Their Cost to Homeowners
Published: Dec 19 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive, nationwide review of millions of subprime mortgages originated from 1998 through 3Q06. Report projected lifetime foreclosure rates for 2006-originated subprime loans in each MSA in...
- Financial Quicksand: Payday lending sinks borrowers in debt with $4.2 billion in predatory fees every year
Published: Nov 30 2006 Issue: Payday Loans
CRL research report finds that payday lending costs Americans $4.2 billion per year in fees.
- Comment: Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
Published: Oct 16 2006 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
- CRL Comment on Federal Reserve Analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data
Published: Oct 9 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Debbie Bocian's comment on the Fed's analysis of 2005 HMDA data.
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
Published: Sep 20 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- CRL Comment on OCC Working Paper #2006-1, "Foreclosures of Subprime Mortgages in Chicago"
Published: Sep 15 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL disputes the findings of an OCC study of subprime mortgage foreclosures in Chicago
- Federally chartered banks can't create subsidiaries that are exempt from state laws
Published: Sep 1 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus brief in support of Michigan Commissioner of Insurance and Financial Services Watters in Watters v. Wachovia Bank. CRL, along with a number of other consumer groups, argues that...
- Comment: Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act Hearings
Published: Aug 15 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Public hearings on the home equity lending market and the adequacy of existing regulatory and legislative provisions in protecting the interests of consumers.
- Georgia's Payday Loan Law: A Model for Preventing Predatory Payday Lending
Published: Jun 29 2006 Issue: Payday Loans
Brief analysis of Georgia's law preventing payday lenders from circumventing their consumer credit interest rate cap and other protections.
- North Carolinians can sue abusive payday lenders without going to arbitration
Published: Jun 19 2006 Issue: Payday Loans
CRL's amicus brief in support of the plaintiffs in Kucan v. Advance America. CRL argues that consumers who received payday loans, which have been declared illegal by North Carolina regulators,...