CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Mar 25 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Overdraft Fees and Opting In Survey
Published: Mar 23 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
A survey of consumer preferences regading overdraft fees and the choice to opt-in to such programs.
- Examining the Making Home Affordable Program
Published: Mar 19 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of CRL Senior Policy Counsel Ellen Harnick before House Financial Services Subcomittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
- Borrowers do not need to rely on documents violating federal lending law in order to receive actual damages
Published: Mar 18 2009 Issue: Auto Financing
CRL's amicus brief in support of a class of auto loan borrowers in Vallies v. Sky Bank. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the Truth in Lending Act does not require borrowers...
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
Published: Mar 11 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- State attorneys general can punish federally chartered banks for violating state laws
Published: Mar 4 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the New York Attorney General in Cuomo v. The Clearing House Association, L.L.P. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the National Bank Act's...
- Massachusetts Fights "Exploding" Subprime Mortgages
Published: Feb 26 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL applauds Massachusetts AG for using consumer protection laws, specifically the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) law, to stop foreclosures on unfair subprime loans
- Highlights of the New Housing Plan
Published: Feb 20 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of President Obama's plan to address the housing crisis
- Payday Loans Put Families in the Red
Published: Feb 20 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Explains how payday lending does not help borrowers avoid overdraft fees in spite of industry claims.
- Promoting Bank Liquidity and Lending Through Deposit Insurance, The HOPE for Homeowners Program, And Other Enhancements
Published: Feb 3 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony re: H.R. 703, a bill to promote bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, the HOPE for Homeowners program, and other enhancements.
- A 36% APR Cap on High-Cost Loans Promotes Financial Recovery
Published: Jan 31 2009 Issue: Payday Loans
Explains the importance of a federal 36% interest rate cap in stopping predatory lending and stimulating the economy.
- Common-Sense Solutions for Saving Homes and Communities
Published: Jan 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes four policy recommendations that focus on removing obstacles that prevent systematic, sustainable loan modifications
- CRL’s Summary of Credit Suisse Findings on Bankruptcy Reform
Published: Jan 29 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Excerpts from Credit Suisse report which discussed bankruptcy reform
- A Tax-Free Foreclosure Solution: Loan Mods Through the Courts
Published: Jan 28 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Report advocates use of Court-supervised loan modifications without using public funds in order to preserve home values and provide fair terms to lenders
- Reducing Foreclosures without Cost to Taxpayers
Published: Jan 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Overview and endorsement of The Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act of 2009 (S 61 and HR 200)
- Key Tool for Stabilizing the Housing Market
Published: Jan 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Report advocates the use of court-supervised loan modifications in bankruptcy
- The Second S&L Scandal
Published: Jan 21 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
How OTS allowed reckless and unfair lending to fleece homeowners and cripple the nation’s savings and loan industry.
- Priorities for the Next Administration: Use of TARP Funds under EESA
Published: Jan 13 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael D. Calhoun, President, CRL
- Continued Decay and Shaky Repairs: The State of Subprime Loans Today
Published: Jan 8 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Update on subprime mortgages and current crisis, focusing on loan performance and foreclosures.
- Federal courts cannot order halts in state court predatory lending lawsuits
Published: Dec 22 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's brief on behalf of the appellees in Nationstar Mortgage, LLC v. Knox. CRL represents Mississippi homeowners whose mortgage lender sought a federal court order staying the homeowners' state...