Research & Analysis
Don't Miss Our Next Report!
Sign up to receive the latest info on CRL research and hot issues in predatory lending.
CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike. We also share our market and legal knowledge with advocates and policymakers across the nation interested in reforming lending practices. Below you will find CRL research and analyses on a range of topics.
Want more information? Go to the Tools & Resources page, or check out our Resources for Consumers, Policymakers, Allies, and Litigators pages. A good external source for research on predatory lending and related issues is www.knowledgeplex.org
Search CRL Research & Analysis
Browse CRL Research & Analysis
- The Payment Plan Smokescreen
June 4, 2007
Facing increasing scrutiny of the problems caused by payday lending, the industry trade group recently announced a new public relations campaign that claims to address the problem of loan flipping by requiring its lenders to offer borrowers an extended payment plan. However, this plan will not give borrowers a viable option for escaping the debt trap, and a description of the guidelines suggests lenders will offer the plan to borrowers in trouble only once per year despite the fact that the typical borrower has nine loans per year.
- Support HR 946
June 1, 2007
CRL endorses Rep. Maloney's HR 946 as effective reform of bank overdraft practices.
- Comment: Proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending
May 7, 2007
The Center for Responsible Lending submits the following comments on the proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending.
- Calhoun: Are Legislative Remedies to Limit Predatory Lending Really Remedies?
March 29, 2007
Mike Calhoun argues that legislative remedies to limit predatory lending have helped, but not solved the problem
- Subprime Lending is a Drain on Home Ownership
March 27, 2007
Subprime Lending leads to a decrease in homeownership
- Foreclosure, Predatory Mortgage and Payday Lending
March 21, 2007
Testimony discusses development of subprime market, inequities and foreclosures having a devastating effect in areas including urban areas with high concentrations of minorities
- Case Study in Subprime Hybrid ARM Refinance Outcomes
February 21, 2007
- Comment: To Department of Defense on Military Lending Act
February 8, 2007
Comments on Military Lending Act submitted to Department of Defense by Consumer Coalition on Feb. 5, 2007.
- Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
February 7, 2007
Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
- Preserving the American Dream: Predatory Lending Practices and Home Foreclosures
February 7, 2007
Eakes discusses predatory lending and foreclosure crisis
- Small Loan CRA Comment
February 2, 2007
CRL Comment to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on its proposed guidelines for affordable small-dollar loans.
- Debit Card Danger
January 25, 2007
CRL report includes an analysis of bank account information and a survey of account holders, finds that bank customers have more overdrafts caused by a debit card purchase than by a written check, debit card overdrafts are more costly, and survey respondents would avoid the fees if given the choice.
- CRL Review of "Defining and Detecting Predatory Lending" by Donald P. Morgan, Federal Reserve Bank of NY, January 2007
January 23, 2007
CRL critiques faulty research report by Don Morgan, which attempts to compare states with and without payday lending but misidentifies many of those states.
- Losing Ground: Foreclosures in the Subprime Market and Their Cost to Homeowners
December 19, 2006
Comprehensive, nationwide review of millions of subprime mortgages originated from 1998 through 3Q06. Report projected lifetime foreclosure rates for 2006-originated subprime loans in each MSA in the United States.
- Financial Quicksand: Payday lending sinks borrowers in debt with $4.2 billion in predatory fees every year
November 30, 2006
CRL research report finds that payday lending costs Americans $4.2 billion per year in fees.
- Comment: Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
October 16, 2006
Proposed FDIC Survey of Overdraft Loan Programs
- CRL Comment on Federal Reserve Analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data
October 9, 2006
Debbie Bocian's comment on the Fed's analysis of 2005 HMDA data.
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
September 20, 2006
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- CRL Comment on OCC Working Paper #2006-1, "Foreclosures of Subprime Mortgages in Chicago"
September 15, 2006
CRL disputes the findings of an OCC study of subprime mortgage foreclosures in Chicago
- Comment: Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act Hearings
August 15, 2006
Public hearings on the home equity lending market and the adequacy of existing regulatory and legislative provisions in protecting the interests of consumers.