CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- H.R. 2309, the Consumer Credit and Debt Protection Act
Published: May 12 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Credit Cards
The Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection held a legislative hearing on H.R. 2309, the Consumer Credit and Debt Protection Act.
- Testimony of Kathleen Keest In Regards To HR 2309
Published: May 12 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Credit Cards, Financial Literacy, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Testimony of Kathleen E. Keest on behalf of the Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and the National Consumer Law Center before the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and...
- Congressional Research Service Memo re H.R. 627
Published: May 12 2009 Issue: Credit Cards
This memorandum provides a comparative analysis of H.R. 627 (the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights Act of 2009), as passed by the House on April 30, 2009, and the amendment in the nature of a...
- Selective Interpretation? Top Credit Card Issuers Appear to Follow Own Rules.
Published: May 8 2009 Issue: Credit Cards
A quick sampling of credit card issuers’ recent activities in response to the Federal Reserve rule changes that were announced in December 2008 found the top eight issuers--Citigroup, Bank of...
- Soaring Spillover: Accelerating Foreclosures to Cost Neighbors $502 billion in 2009 alone; 69.5 million homes lose $7,200 on average
Published: May 7 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This is CRL's third report on the spillover impact of mortgage foreclosures. This new report is based on new CRL projections of 2.4 million foreclosures for all loans (not just subprime) in 2009,...
- Borrowed Time: RAL Usage Among EITC Recipients in Native Communities
Published: Apr 30 2009 Issue: Refund Anticipation Loans
This paper provides new data showing the disproportionate use of RALs among EITC recipients in Native communities with an analysis of EITC recipients in 10 states with large shares of Native...
- H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act of 2009
Published: Apr 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress has an opportunity to prevent another mortgage fiasco by passing stronger protections on home lending.
- Quick Facts on Overdraft Loans
Published: Apr 9 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Brief facts about overdraft loans, largely derived from CRL research
- Comments on Regulation E—Overdraft Practices
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending, along with Consumer Action, Consumer Federation of America, Consumers Union, National Association of Consumer Advocates, National Consumer Law Center (on behalf...
- Interest Rate Survey
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Car Title Loans, Payday Loans
CRL conducted a national survey to measure public support for one strategy on the table: a 36 percent cap on annual interest rates for consumer loans. The survey found high levels of support for...
- Borrowers can file class actions to void illegal loans (petition)
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's brief on behalf of the petitioners seeking certiorari from the United States Supreme Court in Andrews v. Chevy Chase Bank. CRL represents a Wisconsin couple, who was one of thousands of...
- Key protections in H.R. 1456 - Consumer Overdraft Protection Fair Practices Act
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Listing of major elements in HR 1456, introduced by Rep. Maloney
- Predatory Profiling
Published: Mar 26 2009 Issue: Payday Loans
New CRL analysis finds that California's payday lenders overwhelmingly locate in African-American and Latino neighborhoods, even after controlling for income and other factors, and drain $247...
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Mar 25 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Overdraft Fees and Opting In Survey
Published: Mar 23 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
A survey of consumer preferences regading overdraft fees and the choice to opt-in to such programs.
- Examining the Making Home Affordable Program
Published: Mar 19 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of CRL Senior Policy Counsel Ellen Harnick before House Financial Services Subcomittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
- Borrowers do not need to rely on documents violating federal lending law in order to receive actual damages
Published: Mar 18 2009 Issue: Auto Financing
CRL's amicus brief in support of a class of auto loan borrowers in Vallies v. Sky Bank. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the Truth in Lending Act does not require borrowers...
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
Published: Mar 11 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- State attorneys general can punish federally chartered banks for violating state laws
Published: Mar 4 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the New York Attorney General in Cuomo v. The Clearing House Association, L.L.P. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the National Bank Act's...
- Massachusetts Fights "Exploding" Subprime Mortgages
Published: Feb 26 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL applauds Massachusetts AG for using consumer protection laws, specifically the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) law, to stop foreclosures on unfair subprime loans