CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Coalition Letter to Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder, Director Cordray
Published: Dec 19 2014 Issue: Student Loans
As advocates for students, veterans, consumers, civil rights and college access, we write to express grave concerns about the proposed sale of 56 Corinthian Colleges campuses to ECMC Group, a debt...
- CRL's Negotiated Rulemaking Comments
Published: Nov 25 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Senior Policy Council Maura Dundon submitted testimony to the Department of Education on its 2015 rulemaking agenda.
- Gainful Employment: A Civil Rights Perspective
Published: Nov 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL and seven other civil rights organizations jointly authored a policy brief that shares the adverse impacts students of color experience and a primary impetus for a strong gainful employment rule.
- Three Ways to Fix Private Student Loan Troubles
Published: Oct 27 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This thoughtful op ed highlights key problems with private student loans and also offers ways regulators can better assist consumers.
- Attorneys General in 14 States Support More Accountability From For-Profit Colleges
Published: Oct 8 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Attorneys General representing states in the South, Midwest, Southwest and Northeast stand united in support of progressive reforms affecting for-profit college accountability.
- Do Students of Color Profit from For-Profit College?
Published: Oct 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
A post-secondary education is increasingly necessary in order to obtain a high-quality job and a lifetime of financial security and wealth-building opportunities. Many students finance their...
- CRL Comment on CFPB Complaint Narratives
Published: Sep 22 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This comment supports the CFPB's proposal to make consumer complaint narratives public, and emphasizes the need to do this in the context of student loans. It also provides recommendations on how...
- Letter of Support for Higher Education Act
Published: Jun 25 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This letter is written to the Chairman of the HELP Committee, Senator Tom Harkin (D – IA), as he seeks to reauthorize the Higher Education Act.
- Gainful Employment Regulations Needed to Protect Students
Published: May 28 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Reforming for-profit college lending is a critical consumer protection need. For-profit colleges aggressively market their education programs and, in many cases, fail to provide a useful education...
- Coalition Comment Letter on Proposed Gainful Employment Regulation
Published: May 28 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL added its support to a broad coalition calling for the Department of Education to ensure that its final gainful employment rulemaking must be strengthened to protect both students and taxpayers.
- For-Profit Colleges Saddle African-American and Latino Students with Crushing Debt, Poor Employment Prospects
Published: Apr 24 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Enrolling in a for-profit college usually means higher costs of attendance and higher default rates on student loans. This policy brief explores why students of color – African-American and Latino...
- Department of Education Rulemaking to Define ‘Gainful Employment’
Published: Mar 12 2014 Issue: Student Loans
The US Department of Education has re-started a negotiated rulemaking process regarding eligibility of career education programs for federal financial aid. This is CRL's memo on areas for...
- Comment on Proposed Regulations for For-Profit and Occupational Schools
Published: Jan 22 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL recently expressed support for the Massachusetts’ Attorney General proposed regulations for occupational and for-profit schools.
- Comment on Forced Arbitration Agreements in College Federal Aid Applications
Published: Dec 18 2013 Issue: Student Loans
In reply to the Department of Education’s request for comments on forced arbitration clauses in student federal loans, CRL called for transparency and clear disclosure. Further, CRL urged that...
- The State of Lending: Student Loans
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Student Loans
A college education is critical in today's competitive job market. but post-secondary education has never been more expensive. Most U.S. families rely on student loans to help finance a college...