CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Lender illegally foreclosed on a Virginia couple after they entered into a loan modification
Published: May 26 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's complaint on behalf of the plaintiffs in Rosa v. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Co. CRL, co-counseling with Legal Services of Northern Virginia, represents a couple in Fairfax County, Virginia...
- Comment: Proposed 2009 GSE Housing Goals
Published: May 22 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments on proposed housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac support incentives to modify distressed mortgages.
- Soaring Spillover: Accelerating Foreclosures to Cost Neighbors $502 billion in 2009 alone; 69.5 million homes lose $7,200 on average
Published: May 7 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This is CRL's third report on the spillover impact of mortgage foreclosures. This new report is based on new CRL projections of 2.4 million foreclosures for all loans (not just subprime) in 2009,...
- H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act of 2009
Published: Apr 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress has an opportunity to prevent another mortgage fiasco by passing stronger protections on home lending.
- Borrowers can file class actions to void illegal loans (petition)
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's brief on behalf of the petitioners seeking certiorari from the United States Supreme Court in Andrews v. Chevy Chase Bank. CRL represents a Wisconsin couple, who was one of thousands of...
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Mar 25 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Examining the Making Home Affordable Program
Published: Mar 19 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of CRL Senior Policy Counsel Ellen Harnick before House Financial Services Subcomittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
Published: Mar 11 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- State attorneys general can punish federally chartered banks for violating state laws
Published: Mar 4 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the New York Attorney General in Cuomo v. The Clearing House Association, L.L.P. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the National Bank Act's...
- Massachusetts Fights "Exploding" Subprime Mortgages
Published: Feb 26 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL applauds Massachusetts AG for using consumer protection laws, specifically the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) law, to stop foreclosures on unfair subprime loans
- Highlights of the New Housing Plan
Published: Feb 20 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of President Obama's plan to address the housing crisis
- Promoting Bank Liquidity and Lending Through Deposit Insurance, The HOPE for Homeowners Program, And Other Enhancements
Published: Feb 3 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony re: H.R. 703, a bill to promote bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, the HOPE for Homeowners program, and other enhancements.
- Common-Sense Solutions for Saving Homes and Communities
Published: Jan 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes four policy recommendations that focus on removing obstacles that prevent systematic, sustainable loan modifications
- CRL’s Summary of Credit Suisse Findings on Bankruptcy Reform
Published: Jan 29 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Excerpts from Credit Suisse report which discussed bankruptcy reform
- A Tax-Free Foreclosure Solution: Loan Mods Through the Courts
Published: Jan 28 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Report advocates use of Court-supervised loan modifications without using public funds in order to preserve home values and provide fair terms to lenders
- Key Tool for Stabilizing the Housing Market
Published: Jan 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Report advocates the use of court-supervised loan modifications in bankruptcy
- Reducing Foreclosures without Cost to Taxpayers
Published: Jan 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Overview and endorsement of The Helping Families Save Their Homes in Bankruptcy Act of 2009 (S 61 and HR 200)
- The Second S&L Scandal
Published: Jan 21 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
How OTS allowed reckless and unfair lending to fleece homeowners and cripple the nation’s savings and loan industry.
- Priorities for the Next Administration: Use of TARP Funds under EESA
Published: Jan 13 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael D. Calhoun, President, CRL
- Continued Decay and Shaky Repairs: The State of Subprime Loans Today
Published: Jan 8 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Update on subprime mortgages and current crisis, focusing on loan performance and foreclosures.