CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Congress: Extend Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Center for Responsible lending joined with Financial Services Roundtable and Housing Policy Council to ask Congress to extend the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act.
- Collateral Damage: The Spillover Cost of Foreclosures
Published: Oct 24 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
When families lose their homes to foreclosure, their nearby neighbors lose value on their properties. This report estimates this "spillover" cost nationwide will be nearly $2 trillion. Over half of...
- CRL Comments To the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau RE: Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z) and Loan Originator Compensation
Published: Oct 16 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL affirms that limits on loan originator compensation contained in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and in Regulation Z are important consumer protections that...
- Making Mortgage Servicing More Effective: Comments to the CFPB
Published: Oct 9 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In comments submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, CRL makes a number of recommendations to help ensure loan servicers give distressed mortgages a timely, efficient and...
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2012
Published: Oct 3 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This 2012 research brief identifies which metro and rural areas are hardest hit by foreclosures and remain areas of greatest need for additional foreclosure counseling resources.
- CRL Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on RESPA and TILA (Regulations X and Z)
Published: Sep 7 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL offers supports the Bureau's consumer protection proposal for mortgage rules and disclosures for high-cost (HOEPA) loans. But it urges CFPB to be vigilant about evasions of HOEPA and to adopt...
- A Government-Mandated 10% Down Payment: Bad for Families, the Housing Market and the Economy
Published: Aug 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Decades of lending have shown that low down payment lending can be successful. Excluding millions of good borrowers from the mainstream mortgage market would be a serious mistake.
- Qualified Residential Mortgages: Down Payment Rules Threaten Home Buyers—and the Economy
Published: Aug 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The housing market of the future can drive economic growth without shutting out responsible home buyers. Find reports, data and other resources on Qualified Residential Mortgages.
- Letter to Regulators on Down Payments (QRM Requirements)
Published: Aug 30 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and six other organizations submit comments to regulators explaining why government-mandated down payments would be damaging to lower- and middle-income families and the housing market as a whole.
- "Qualified Residential Mortgages" -- the Negative Impact of a Government-Mandated 10 Percent Down Payment
Published: Aug 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On August 29, 2012, CRL and several other organizations submitted a letter to federal and financial regulators opposing a government-mandated down payment requirement as part of the pending...
- Comments on Enterprise Housing Goals
Published: Jul 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and Empire Justice Center submitted comments to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on a proposed rule for the 2012-2014...
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- The Impact of Dodd-Frank's Home Mortgage Reforms
Published: Jul 11 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL Senior Vice President Eric Stein emphasized the importance of defining "Qualified Mortgage" broadly to avoid shutting out creditworthy borrowers from the mortgage market. He recommended that QM...
- Comments on Qualified Mortgages to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Jul 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America and The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights responded to the CFPB's request for comments on qualified mortgages. Much...
- Expanding, Streamlining Mortgage Refinances
Published: Jun 27 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Boxer-Menendez bill to expand refinances offers a bipartisan opportunity to help homeowners and boost the economy. The bill would more than double the number of homeowners who could refinance...
- Regulatory Compliance Costs and Small Financial Institutions
Published: May 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
CRL President Michael Calhoun testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the benefits of strong lending protections. Financial reform, including the CFPB, is good for American...
- Summary of National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 14 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Forty-nine state attorneys generals and two government agencies have reached a $25 billion agreement with the nation's five largest mortgage servicers to address mortgage loan servicing and...
- National mortgage Settlement is a game-changer
Published: Feb 17 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A lawsuit highlights possible foreclosure fraud, as loan servicing employees admit they don’t actually review foreclosure documents; instead they do "robo-signing.
- Balancing Risk and Access: Underwriting Standards for Qualified Residential Mortgages
Published: Jan 18 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mandatory down payments on mortgages would put fairly-priced loans out of reach for millions of creditworthy families.
- Comments on the Federal Housing Finance Agency Joint Initiative on Mortgage Servicing Issues
Published: Dec 27 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
FHFA has the mandate and the opportunity to improve mortgage servicing practices. CRL recommends incentives to encourage better service by loan servicers and to promote more timely and effective...