CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- 2013 Update: The Spillover Costs of Foreclosures
Published: Aug 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The harm caused by over 12.5 million foreclosures is the focus of this brief, the fifth in a series of updated on related findings.
- Government-Mandated Down Payment Standards Would Harm the Economy, Deny Homeownership to Credit-Worthy Families
Published: Aug 15 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Government mandated down payments would deny homeownership opportunities.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2013
Published: Jul 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Where foreclosures have hit the hardest and where the greatest need still remains in 2013 is the focus of this analysis on foreclosure counseling.
- CRL Testimony: Prioritize Safe and Affordable Mortgage Access
Published: Jul 19 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Committee hearing on housing finance reform and the future of homeownership.
- CRL to Regulators: Align Qualified Mortgage (QM) and Qualified Residential Mortgage (QRM) Rules
Published: Jun 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As regulators move to define Qualified Residential Mortgages (QRMs), CRL urges the same standard that CFPB defined for Qualified Mortgages (QM).
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...
- Minority Homeownership Study Has Flawed Methodology and Conclusions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL rebuts working paper on minority homeownership, citing fundamental flaws and conclusions.
- Comparing Dual Track Foreclosure Restrictions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL compares the dual track foreclosure restrictions and requirements in the National Mortgage Settlement, the California Homeowner Bill of Rights and related rules from the Consumer Financial...
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Amendments to 2013 Mortgage Rule
Published: Jun 3 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Consumer Advocates Urge FHFA to Curb Lender-Placed Insurance Problems
Published: May 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In this comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), CRL and seven allies comment on proposed practice limitations and broader recommendations regarding lender-placed insurance (LPI)....
- HR 1077 Would Weaken Mortgage Reforms in Dodd-Frank
Published: May 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress should not allow high fees and loopholes to return to mortgage lending. HR.1077 will lead to more expensive and dangerous loans for borrowers.
- Closing the Gaps: What States Should Do to Protect Homeowners From Foreclosure
Published: Apr 8 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This brief urges state actions to prevent avoidable foreclosures with a Homeowner Bill of Rights
- Consumer Advocates Urge HAMP Extension
Published: Mar 26 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
National and statewide consumer groups are urging that the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) be extended, citing success in foreclosure prevention and modification.
- Analysis of the Report of the Monitor of the National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's analysis of "Ongoing Implementation",a report on 2012 efforts under the National Mortgage Settlement to halt foreclosures through loan modifications, and other assistance.
- State Actions Still Needed to Prevent Unnecessary Foreclosures
Published: Mar 4 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
States are in a strong position to prevent unnecessary foreclosures, stabilize local housing markets and protect homeowners from mortgage servicing abuses. Through practical enhancements to the...
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Ability to Repay Standards under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z)
Published: Feb 25 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and allies comment on CFPB proposal that addresses two issues critical to the future of safe, sustainable, and affordable access to mortgage credit. First, it considers how to define...
- CRL Response to CoreLogic Analysis of Qualified Mortgage (QM) Standards
Published: Feb 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL identifies some problems with CoreLogic's QM analysis of the percent of mortgage loans that would not meet QM standards
- Qualified Mortgage Rulemaking: Protecting Borrowers from the Next Lending Crisis
Published: Jan 10 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Dodd‐Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act requires lenders to determine whether borrowers can repay a mortgage before that transaction takes place -- by making loans that meet a...
- The State of Lending: Mortgages
Published: Dec 12 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Even with the recent decline in house prices, owning a home can bestow more financial and non-financial benefits than any other single asset. This means more economic mobility and financial...
- Congress: Extend Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Center for Responsible lending joined with Financial Services Roundtable and Housing Policy Council to ask Congress to extend the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act.