CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- 2013 HMDA: Data Show People of Color Being Left Behind in Slowly Recovering Mortgage Market
Published: Sep 30 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The 2013 mortgage data submitted by lenders under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) reflects a slowly recovering mortgage market that troublingly continues to under-serve important market...
- CRL President Mike Calhoun Testifies Before Senate Banking Committee
Published: Sep 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On September 16, CRL President Mike Calhoun delivered testimony before the Senate Banking Committee at a hearing called “Examining the State of Small Depository Institutions.”
- No Need for Higher MI Fees with QM
Published: Sep 15 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Consumers with lower credit scores often also have low down payments when purchasing a home. As a result, fees for mortgage insurance are added to payments. In these comments, CRL argues for these...
- G-Fees Should be Lowered, not Raised
Published: Sep 15 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) considers how best to manage mortgage risk CRL responded to its offer for comments. Discouraging fees that would create unnecessary barriers to...
- CRL Supports Proposed CFPB Amendments to Qualified Mortgage Rule (QM)
Published: Jun 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In these comments, CRL expresses general support for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s proposals to amend the 2013 Mortgage Rules under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z).
- Comment Letter to Senate Banking Committee on Housing Finance Reform Bill
Published: Feb 28 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A 13-member coalition of civil rights, housing and legal advocates called upon the U.S. Senate Banking Committee to preserve equal access to mortgage credit for all qualified borrowers.
- New Reforms Promote Stability in the Mortgage Market, Protect Access to Credit
Published: Jan 14 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL President Mike Calhoun testified before the House Financial Services Committee that CFPB’s rules strike the right balance of providing borrower protections while also ensuring access to credit.
- 2014 Brings New Rules to Mortgage Lending
Published: Jan 7 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In 2014, new mortgage lending reforms go into effect. Finalized by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the reforms respond to the abusive lending practices that triggered the nation’s...
- Civil Rights Groups to Federal Regulators: We Support Aligning Mortgage Rules and Oppose Down Payment Requirements
Published: Oct 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A host of civil rights and fair housing groups joined with CRL in submitting comments to federal financial regulators and HUD.
- CRL Testimony to Senate Banking Committee : Preserve What Works, Reform What Needs Change
Published: Oct 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In testimony before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Eric Stein, CRL Senior Vice-President, reminded lawmakers that consumer concerns must not be lost in proposed...
- Fixing What Went Wrong and Building on What Works in Housing Finance
Published: Oct 17 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes housing policy reforms for the GSEs.
- Civil Rights Leaders on Mortgages: Preserve Access and Low Down Payments
Published: Sep 12 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Offers Four Paths to Qualified Mortgage Status
Published: Sep 11 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
An overview of the Qualified Mortgage (QM) definition.
- Monitor Report: 643,000 Borrowers Received Over $51 billion in Benefits
Published: Sep 6 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
AG Mortgage Settlement report shows 643,000 borrowers benefitted from AG settlement.
- 2013 Update: The Spillover Costs of Foreclosures
Published: Aug 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The harm caused by over 12.5 million foreclosures is the focus of this brief, the fifth in a series of updated on related findings.
- Government-Mandated Down Payment Standards Would Harm the Economy, Deny Homeownership to Credit-Worthy Families
Published: Aug 15 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Government mandated down payments would deny homeownership opportunities.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2013
Published: Jul 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Where foreclosures have hit the hardest and where the greatest need still remains in 2013 is the focus of this analysis on foreclosure counseling.
- CRL Testimony: Prioritize Safe and Affordable Mortgage Access
Published: Jul 19 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Committee hearing on housing finance reform and the future of homeownership.
- CRL to Regulators: Align Qualified Mortgage (QM) and Qualified Residential Mortgage (QRM) Rules
Published: Jun 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As regulators move to define Qualified Residential Mortgages (QRMs), CRL urges the same standard that CFPB defined for Qualified Mortgages (QM).
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...