CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- H.R. 6139: Payday Lender Carve-out Will Undermine Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and States
Published: Aug 27 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Carve-outs for payday lenders will undermine state protections and CFPB.
- Comment to CFPB: The financial exploitation of older Americans
Published: Aug 20 2012 Issue: CFPB
CRL told the CFPB of abusive financial practices against older Americans. More than 13 million older adults live on $21,800 a year or less. Further, the average credit card debt for these consumers...
- Comments on Enterprise Housing Goals
Published: Jul 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and Empire Justice Center submitted comments to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on a proposed rule for the 2012-2014...
- CRL's Testimony: A National Payday Charter Is A Bad Idea
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Car Title Loans, CFPB, Installment Loans, Payday Loans
Testimony of Kenneth W. Edwards Vice President of Federal Affairs, Center for Responsible Lending, before the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial...
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- CRL Tells CFPB: Prepaid Cards Lack Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
The CFPB should prohibit overdraft and credit features on prepaid cards.
- The Impact of Dodd-Frank's Home Mortgage Reforms
Published: Jul 11 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL Senior Vice President Eric Stein emphasized the importance of defining "Qualified Mortgage" broadly to avoid shutting out creditworthy borrowers from the mortgage market. He recommended that QM...
- Comments on Qualified Mortgages to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Jul 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America and The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights responded to the CFPB's request for comments on qualified mortgages. Much...
- Comments to CFPB on Overdraft Practices
Published: Jul 6 2012 Issue: CFPB, Overdraft Loans
CRL joined with CFA and NCLC to provide the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) with documentation of bank overdraft practices and their impact on consumers. The CFPB should stop banks from...
- Expanding, Streamlining Mortgage Refinances
Published: Jun 27 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Boxer-Menendez bill to expand refinances offers a bipartisan opportunity to help homeowners and boost the economy. The bill would more than double the number of homeowners who could refinance...
- FDIC Promises Investigation of Bank Payday Lending
Published: May 31 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
The FDIC has promised that to make investigation of bank payday lending a priority investigation. In response to a letter submitted by 250 advocates, Acting Chairman Martin Gruenberg said the...
- Are prepaid credit cards helping or hurting consumers?
Published: May 25 2012 Issue: CFPB, Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
Martin Eakes remarks on prepaid cards before a CFPB field hearing.
- Regulatory Compliance Costs and Small Financial Institutions
Published: May 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
CRL President Michael Calhoun testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the benefits of strong lending protections. Financial reform, including the CFPB, is good for American...
- Predatory Credit Card Lending: Unsafe, Unsound for Consumers and Lenders
Published: May 8 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
What hurts consumers financially hurts business. Losses in downturns mount faster at banks enagaging in unfair, deceptive practices. High-cost penalty fees, interest rates don’t mitigate risk—as...
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on Payday Lending Abuses
Published: Apr 23 2012 Issue: CFPB, Payday Loans
Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on payday lending abuses on behalf of several organizations concerned about the documented abuses of payday lenders.
- Deal or No Deal: How Yo-Yo Scams Rig the Game against Car Buyers
Published: Apr 4 2012 Issue: Auto Financing
This latest paper by CRL provides a clear picture of the prevalence of yo-yo scams, insight into how yo-yo scams are perpetrated, and identifies which consumers are most likely to be targeted by...
- Summary of National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 14 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Forty-nine state attorneys generals and two government agencies have reached a $25 billion agreement with the nation's five largest mortgage servicers to address mortgage loan servicing and...
- The Party’s Over for Quickie Tax Loans: But Traps Remain for Unwary Taxpayers
Published: Feb 29 2012 Issue: Refund Anticipation Loans
The 2012 annual report on the tax refund anticipation loan (RAL) industry from the National Consumer Law Center and Consumer Federation of America.
- Letter to Bank Regulators: Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Feb 22 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Two hundred and fifty national, state and local organizations and individual advocates have asked bank regulators to stop banks from making predatory payday loans, which carry triple-digit annual...
- National mortgage Settlement is a game-changer
Published: Feb 17 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A lawsuit highlights possible foreclosure fraud, as loan servicing employees admit they don’t actually review foreclosure documents; instead they do "robo-signing.