CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Comments to Department of Defense: Expanding Credit Protections for Service Members and Their Families
Published: Aug 1 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Although the Military Lending Act has resulted in significant improvements, Service members continue to be the target of predatory lenders. In 2012, members of the military filed 61,642 complaints...
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2013
Published: Jul 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Where foreclosures have hit the hardest and where the greatest need still remains in 2013 is the focus of this analysis on foreclosure counseling.
- The State of Lending: High-Cost Overdraft Fees
Published: Jul 30 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Many banks and credit unions continue to charge abusive fees on debit cards and checking accounts. In this report, "High-cost Overdraft Practices," CRL finds that, in spite of regulatory changes in...
- Testimony: Seniors Vulnerable to Predatory Payday Loans
Published: Jul 24 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Rebecca Borné, senior policy counsel for CRL, testifies on the harms of payday loans and how seniors are particularly vulnerable. The Senate Special Committee on Aging held this hearing to examine...
- CRL Testimony: Prioritize Safe and Affordable Mortgage Access
Published: Jul 19 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Committee hearing on housing finance reform and the future of homeownership.
- The State of Lending: Car-Title Loans
Published: Jul 11 2013 Issue: Car Title Loans
Car-title lending—making expensive loans secured by the title of a vehicle a borrower owns out-right—has become a multi-billion dollar industry in the U.S. over the last decade. CRL estimates that...
- CRL to Regulators: Align Qualified Mortgage (QM) and Qualified Residential Mortgage (QRM) Rules
Published: Jun 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As regulators move to define Qualified Residential Mortgages (QRMs), CRL urges the same standard that CFPB defined for Qualified Mortgages (QM).
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...
- Minority Homeownership Study Has Flawed Methodology and Conclusions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL rebuts working paper on minority homeownership, citing fundamental flaws and conclusions.
- Comparing Dual Track Foreclosure Restrictions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL compares the dual track foreclosure restrictions and requirements in the National Mortgage Settlement, the California Homeowner Bill of Rights and related rules from the Consumer Financial...
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Amendments to 2013 Mortgage Rule
Published: Jun 3 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Advocates Support Proposed Restrictions on Bank Payday Lending
Published: May 30 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL and allies urge the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) to implement and strengthen their proposed guidance to restrict "deposit...
- Consumer Advocates Urge FHFA to Curb Lender-Placed Insurance Problems
Published: May 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In this comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), CRL and seven allies comment on proposed practice limitations and broader recommendations regarding lender-placed insurance (LPI)....
- HR 1077 Would Weaken Mortgage Reforms in Dodd-Frank
Published: May 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress should not allow high fees and loopholes to return to mortgage lending. HR.1077 will lead to more expensive and dangerous loans for borrowers.
- All Federal Credit Unions Should Shun Payday Lending
Published: May 16 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
- Banks Should Disclose Overdraft Fees
Published: May 9 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Today banks are allowed to report overdraft fees as part of general service charge income, but CRL supports greater transparency. In this comment letter to the Federal Financial Institutions...
- Closing the Gaps: What States Should Do to Protect Homeowners From Foreclosure
Published: Apr 8 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This brief urges state actions to prevent avoidable foreclosures with a Homeowner Bill of Rights
- Consumer Advocates Urge HAMP Extension
Published: Mar 26 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
National and statewide consumer groups are urging that the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) be extended, citing success in foreclosure prevention and modification.
- Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists
Published: Mar 21 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Banks making payday loans continue to trap customers in a cycle of debt, according to a CRL study, "Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists." Banks pitch payday loans as short-term...
- Analysis of the Report of the Monitor of the National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's analysis of "Ongoing Implementation",a report on 2012 efforts under the National Mortgage Settlement to halt foreclosures through loan modifications, and other assistance.