CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Consumer Advocates Urge FHFA to Curb Lender-Placed Insurance Problems
Published: May 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In this comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), CRL and seven allies comment on proposed practice limitations and broader recommendations regarding lender-placed insurance (LPI)....
- HR 1077 Would Weaken Mortgage Reforms in Dodd-Frank
Published: May 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress should not allow high fees and loopholes to return to mortgage lending. HR.1077 will lead to more expensive and dangerous loans for borrowers.
- All Federal Credit Unions Should Shun Payday Lending
Published: May 16 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
- Banks Should Disclose Overdraft Fees
Published: May 9 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Today banks are allowed to report overdraft fees as part of general service charge income, but CRL supports greater transparency. In this comment letter to the Federal Financial Institutions...
- Closing the Gaps: What States Should Do to Protect Homeowners From Foreclosure
Published: Apr 8 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This brief urges state actions to prevent avoidable foreclosures with a Homeowner Bill of Rights
- Consumer Advocates Urge HAMP Extension
Published: Mar 26 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
National and statewide consumer groups are urging that the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) be extended, citing success in foreclosure prevention and modification.
- Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists
Published: Mar 21 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Banks making payday loans continue to trap customers in a cycle of debt, according to a CRL study, "Triple-Digit Danger: Bank Payday Lending Persists." Banks pitch payday loans as short-term...
- Analysis of the Report of the Monitor of the National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's analysis of "Ongoing Implementation",a report on 2012 efforts under the National Mortgage Settlement to halt foreclosures through loan modifications, and other assistance.
- CRL to Senate Banking Committee: Confirm CFPB's Cordray
Published: Mar 19 2013 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Renewed Call for Federal Action Against Bank Payday Loans
Published: Mar 13 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Federal regulators should take immediate action to stop unaffordable, high-cost payday lending by banks. That is the key message from more than 260 groups and individuals in a letter to the heads...
- State Actions Still Needed to Prevent Unnecessary Foreclosures
Published: Mar 4 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
States are in a strong position to prevent unnecessary foreclosures, stabilize local housing markets and protect homeowners from mortgage servicing abuses. Through practical enhancements to the...
- Driven to Disaster: Car-Title Lending and Its Impact on Consumers
Published: Feb 28 2013 Issue: Car Title Loans
Research from CRL and Consumer Federation of America finds that car-title loans cost U.S. consumers $3.6 billion in interest on $1.6 billion in loans. According to the research, car-title lenders...
- New York Times Article on Banks Aiding Payday Loans: There's Even More to the Story
Published: Feb 26 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
On February 23, the New York Times published an article describing how some banks enable Internet payday lending. In this brief, CRL provides additional legal context to supplement that article....
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Ability to Repay Standards under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z)
Published: Feb 25 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and allies comment on CFPB proposal that addresses two issues critical to the future of safe, sustainable, and affordable access to mortgage credit. First, it considers how to define...
- CRL Response to CoreLogic Analysis of Qualified Mortgage (QM) Standards
Published: Feb 20 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL identifies some problems with CoreLogic's QM analysis of the percent of mortgage loans that would not meet QM standards
- CRL tells CFPB the CARD Act Works, Encourages Risk-based Pricing
Published: Feb 19 2013 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments submitted by the Center for Responsible Lending to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in response to the Request for Information Regarding Credit Card Market. The CARD Act has made...
- CRL Comments to CFPB 0n Proposed Remittance Transfer Rule
Published: Jan 29 2013 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Comments submitted by CRL and National Council of La Raza concerning the proposed revision of theConsumer Financial Protection Bureau to its final rulemaking onremittance transfers under the...
- Qualified Mortgage Rulemaking: Protecting Borrowers from the Next Lending Crisis
Published: Jan 10 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Dodd‐Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act requires lenders to determine whether borrowers can repay a mortgage before that transaction takes place -- by making loans that meet a...
- U.S. Senators ask Regulators to Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Jan 7 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Five U.S. Senators have asked the OCC, the FDIC and the Federal Reserve to stop the banks under their respective jurisdictions from making predatory payday loans. At least four big banks have...
- The State of Lending in America and Its Impact on U.S. Households
Published: Dec 13 2012 Issue: Consumer Finance
A series of three reports outlining predatory lending practices in consumer lending, and the regulatory and legislative actions needed to halt these practices and prevent future abuses.