CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Comments on the Military Lending Act
Published: Dec 24 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
- Coalition Letter to Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder, Director Cordray
Published: Dec 19 2014 Issue: Student Loans
As advocates for students, veterans, consumers, civil rights and college access, we write to express grave concerns about the proposed sale of 56 Corinthian Colleges campuses to ECMC Group, a debt...
- FHFA Director Responds to Housing Advocates: Broadening Mortgage Access is a 2015 Priority
Published: Dec 18 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In mid-November, CRL joined with the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) and several other consumer and civil rights advocates, wrote FHFA calling for revised underwriting standards that would...
- CRL's Negotiated Rulemaking Comments
Published: Nov 25 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Senior Policy Council Maura Dundon submitted testimony to the Department of Education on its 2015 rulemaking agenda.
- Gainful Employment: A Civil Rights Perspective
Published: Nov 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL and seven other civil rights organizations jointly authored a policy brief that shares the adverse impacts students of color experience and a primary impetus for a strong gainful employment rule.
- CRL Comment on HMDA Changes
Published: Oct 29 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On October 29, the Center for Responsible Lending joined a coalition of consumer and civil rights organization to comment on the proposed changes to the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)...
- Three Ways to Fix Private Student Loan Troubles
Published: Oct 27 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL senior policy analyst Maura Dundon highlights key problems with private student loans, offers ways regulators can better assist consumers.
- Analysis: New State Data Show California Payday Lenders Continue to Rely on Trapping Borrowers in Debt
Published: Oct 9 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
The California Department of Business Oversight (DBO) released data on October 3, 2014 showing the extent to which repeat lending comprises the bulk of payday loan activity.[i] Over 75% of all...
- Attorneys General in 14 States Support More Accountability From For-Profit Colleges
Published: Oct 8 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Attorneys General representing states in the South, Midwest, Southwest and Northeast stand united in support of progressive reforms affecting for-profit college accountability.
- Do Students of Color Profit from For-Profit College?
Published: Oct 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
A post-secondary education is increasingly necessary in order to obtain a high-quality job and a lifetime of financial security and wealth-building opportunities. Many students finance their...
- 2013 HMDA: Data Show People of Color Being Left Behind in Slowly Recovering Mortgage Market
Published: Sep 30 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The 2013 mortgage data submitted by lenders under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) reflects a slowly recovering mortgage market that troublingly continues to under-serve important market...
- CRL Comment on CFPB Complaint Narratives
Published: Sep 22 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This comment supports the CFPB's proposal to make consumer complaint narratives public, and emphasizes the need to do this in the context of student loans. It also provides recommendations on how...
- CRL President Mike Calhoun Testifies Before Senate Banking Committee
Published: Sep 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On September 16, CRL President Mike Calhoun delivered testimony before the Senate Banking Committee at a hearing called “Examining the State of Small Depository Institutions.”
- G-Fees Should be Lowered, not Raised
Published: Sep 15 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) considers how best to manage mortgage risk CRL responded to its offer for comments. Discouraging fees that would create unnecessary barriers to...
- No Need for Higher MI Fees with QM
Published: Sep 15 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Consumers with lower credit scores often also have low down payments when purchasing a home. As a result, fees for mortgage insurance are added to payments. In these comments, CRL argues for these...
- Issues and Outcomes Report: January to December 2013
Published: Jul 18 2014 Issue: Consumer Finance
In July 2014, CRL released an Issues and Outcomes Report that summarized financial regulations for the year 2013. This report provides a review of some of the financial products and services most...
- The State of Lending: Debt Settlement
Published: Jun 30 2014 Issue: Debt Settlement
Debt settlement companies offer the promise of settling a consumer’s debt for a fraction of what they owe. Unfortunately debt settlement carries significant risks that may result in consumers...
- Letter of Support for Higher Education Act
Published: Jun 25 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This letter is written to the Chairman of the HELP Committee, Senator Tom Harkin (D – IA), as he seeks to reauthorize the Higher Education Act.
- CRL Supports Proposed CFPB Amendments to Qualified Mortgage Rule (QM)
Published: Jun 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In these comments, CRL expresses general support for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s proposals to amend the 2013 Mortgage Rules under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z).
- Coalition Comment Letter on Proposed Gainful Employment Regulation
Published: May 28 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL added its support to a broad coalition calling for the Department of Education to ensure that its final gainful employment rulemaking must be strengthened to protect both students and taxpayers.