CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike.
- Payday Mayday: Visible and Invisible Payday Lending Defaults
Published: Mar 31 2015 Issue: Payday Loans
- CFPB's Preliminary Proposal to Address Payday and Similar Debt-trap Loans
Published: Mar 30 2015 Issue: Payday Loans
- Overdraft U: Student Bank Accounts Often Loaded with High Overdraft Fees
Published: Mar 27 2015 Issue: Student Loans
- Research Comment On: "Do Defaults on Payday Loans Matter?" by Robert Mann
Published: Mar 9 2015 Issue: Payday Loans
- Research Comment On: "Payday Loan Rollovers and Consumer Welfare"
Published: Mar 9 2015 Issue: Payday Loans
- Analysis: CRL Finds AFCC Debt Settlement Report Falls Short
Published: Feb 18 2015 Issue: Debt Settlement
In February 2013, the American Fair Credit Council, an association of debt settlement companies, released a report that claimed to assess the outcomes of debt settlement services by the industry....
- Reckless Driving: Implications of Recent Subprime Auto Finance Growth
Published: Jan 13 2015 Issue: Auto Financing
The auto finance market has grown significantly in the past few years. According to Experian Automotive, outstanding auto loan balances reached a record-breaking $870 billion in the third quarter...
- Comments on the Military Lending Act
Published: Dec 24 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
- Coalition Letter to Secretary Duncan, Attorney General Holder, Director Cordray
Published: Dec 19 2014 Issue: Student Loans
As advocates for students, veterans, consumers, civil rights and college access, we write to express grave concerns about the proposed sale of 56 Corinthian Colleges campuses to ECMC Group, a debt...
- FHFA Director Responds to Housing Advocates: Broadening Mortgage Access is a 2015 Priority
Published: Dec 18 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In mid-November, CRL joined with the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) and several other consumer and civil rights advocates, wrote FHFA calling for revised underwriting standards that would...
- CRL's Negotiated Rulemaking Comments
Published: Nov 25 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Senior Policy Council Maura Dundon submitted testimony to the Department of Education on its 2015 rulemaking agenda.
- Gainful Employment: A Civil Rights Perspective
Published: Nov 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL and seven other civil rights organizations jointly authored a policy brief that shares the adverse impacts students of color experience and a primary impetus for a strong gainful employment rule.
- CRL Comment on HMDA Changes
Published: Oct 29 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On October 29, the Center for Responsible Lending joined a coalition of consumer and civil rights organization to comment on the proposed changes to the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)...
- Three Ways to Fix Private Student Loan Troubles
Published: Oct 27 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL senior policy analyst Maura Dundon highlights key problems with private student loans, offers ways regulators can better assist consumers.
- Analysis: New State Data Show California Payday Lenders Continue to Rely on Trapping Borrowers in Debt
Published: Oct 9 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
The California Department of Business Oversight (DBO) released data on October 3, 2014 showing the extent to which repeat lending comprises the bulk of payday loan activity.[i] Over 75% of all...
- Attorneys General in 14 States Support More Accountability From For-Profit Colleges
Published: Oct 8 2014 Issue: Student Loans
Attorneys General representing states in the South, Midwest, Southwest and Northeast stand united in support of progressive reforms affecting for-profit college accountability.
- Do Students of Color Profit from For-Profit College?
Published: Oct 3 2014 Issue: Student Loans
A post-secondary education is increasingly necessary in order to obtain a high-quality job and a lifetime of financial security and wealth-building opportunities. Many students finance their...
- 2013 HMDA: Data Show People of Color Being Left Behind in Slowly Recovering Mortgage Market
Published: Sep 30 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The 2013 mortgage data submitted by lenders under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) reflects a slowly recovering mortgage market that troublingly continues to under-serve important market...
- CRL Comment on CFPB Complaint Narratives
Published: Sep 22 2014 Issue: Student Loans
This comment supports the CFPB's proposal to make consumer complaint narratives public, and emphasizes the need to do this in the context of student loans. It also provides recommendations on how...
- CRL President Mike Calhoun Testifies Before Senate Banking Committee
Published: Sep 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On September 16, CRL President Mike Calhoun delivered testimony before the Senate Banking Committee at a hearing called “Examining the State of Small Depository Institutions.”