CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the US Congress. CRL is frequently asked to testify on lending issues before Congress, federal regulators, state legislatures or other government entities. Below is a list of links to our written testimonies.
- Testimony: Paul Leonard to California Senate Banking 03/26/2007
Published: Mar 26 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Problems of the subprime market and their impact on Californians and the state of California: testimony of Paul Leonard, Director of the California Office of the Center for Responsible Lending...
- Foreclosure, Predatory Mortgage and Payday Lending
Published: Mar 21 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending, Payday Loans
Testimony discusses development of subprime market, inequities and foreclosures having a devastating effect in areas including urban areas with high concentrations of minorities
- Preserving the American Dream: Predatory Lending Practices and Home Foreclosures
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes discusses predatory lending and foreclosure crisis
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
Published: Sep 20 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act: Newly Collected Data and What It Means
Published: Jun 13 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ernst proposes ways to strengthen the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- The Price of Ownership: What the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Reveals About Minorities and Lending
Published: Jun 27 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ernst urges reform of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- Legislative Solutions to Abusive Mortgage Lending Practices
Published: May 24 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes urges reform of the subprime mortgage market
- Rule-Making to Permit Preemption of State Laws with Respect to the Interstate Activities of State Banks
Published: May 24 2005 Issue: Payday Loans
Testimony states that authorizing state banks to disregard banking laws of sister-states is a problem of constitutional magnitude that would deprive state assemblies of an essential regulatory role
- The Federal Home Loan Bank System
Published: Apr 13 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes lauds FHLBs and makes suggestions for improvement
- Predatory Lending and its Impact on the Military and Local Communities
Published: Mar 29 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Makes correlation between predatory/payday lending and the impact on the military and local communities
- Promoting Homeownership by Ensuring Liquidity in the Subprime Mortgage Market
Published: Jun 23 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of Michael D. Calhoun, General Counsel, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee on Housing and Community...
- Review of the National Bank Preemption Rules
Published: Apr 7 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Hearing on the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's Rules on National Bank Preemption and Visitorial Powers
- "Subprime Lending: Defining the Market and Its Customers"
Published: Mar 30 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of Eric Stein, Senior Vice President, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit and Subcommittee on Housing and Community...
- Protecting Homeowners: Preventing Abusive Lending While Preserving Access to Credit
Published: Nov 5 2003 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of George Brown, Senior Vice President, Self-Help and Spokesperson, Coalition for Responsible Lending before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions...
- Predatory Mortgage Lending: The Problem, Impact, and Responses
Published: Jul 26 2001 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of Martin Eakes,Self-Help CEO and Coalition for Responsible Lending Spokesperson Before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Public Hearings on Home Equity Lending
Published: Jul 27 2000 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In 2000, the Federal Reserve Board invited consumers, consumer advocacy organizations, lenders and other interested parties to participate in public hearings on predatory practices in the...
- Predatory Lending Practices
Published: May 24 2000 Issue: Mortgage Lending