CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the US Congress. CRL is frequently asked to testify on lending issues before Congress, federal regulators, state legislatures or other government entities. Below is a list of links to our written testimonies.
- Mitria Wilson Testimony on Examining Regulatory Burdens on Non-Depository Financial Institutions
Published: Apr 15 2015 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- New Reforms Promote Stability in the Mortgage Market, Protect Access to Credit
Published: Jan 14 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL President Mike Calhoun testified before the House Financial Services Committee that CFPB’s rules strike the right balance of providing borrower protections while also ensuring access to credit.
- CRL Testimony to Senate Banking Committee : Preserve What Works, Reform What Needs Change
Published: Oct 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In testimony before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Eric Stein, CRL Senior Vice-President, reminded lawmakers that consumer concerns must not be lost in proposed...
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- The Impact of Dodd-Frank's Home Mortgage Reforms
Published: Jul 11 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL Senior Vice President Eric Stein emphasized the importance of defining "Qualified Mortgage" broadly to avoid shutting out creditworthy borrowers from the mortgage market. He recommended that QM...
- Regulatory Compliance Costs and Small Financial Institutions
Published: May 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
CRL President Michael Calhoun testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the benefits of strong lending protections. Financial reform, including the CFPB, is good for American...
- Refinancing: Helping Responsible Homeowners Save Money
Published: Apr 25 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Interest rates are at historic lows, but many homeowners who could benefit from these low rates have not refinanced their higher-rate mortgage. In this testimony, CRL President Michael Calhoun...
- Testimony: Enhanced Consumer Financial Protection After the Financial Crisis
Published: Jul 19 2011 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Testimony of Mike Calhoun before Senate Banking Committee: Unsustainable lending pushed us into the financial crisis, and sustainable lending and responsible consumer financial services products...
- Enhanced Consumer Financial Protection After the Financial Crisis
Published: Jul 19 2011 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Unsustainable lending pushed us into the financial crisis, and sustainable lending and responsible consumer financial services products are needed to restore and maintain economic health. An...
- Widespread Abuse by Mortgage Servicers Hurts Homeowners, Investors, Taxpayers, Economy
Published: Jul 7 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mortgages servicers should be required to give every mortgage holder “a good-faith review of foreclosure alternatives” before taking steps to take his or her home, CRL president Michael Calhoun...
- Are There Government Barriers to the Housing Market Recovery?
Published: Feb 16 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL testifies that the biggest barrier to housing recovery is continuing foreclosures that could be stopped. Mortgage servicers are foreclosing unnecessarily, and the government has not yet used...
- Robo-Signing, Chain of Title, Loss Mitigation and Other Issues in Mortgage Servicing
Published: Nov 18 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Senior policy counsel Julia Gordon testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on robo-signing and how to use all available tools to address the foreclosure crisis.
- HAMP, Servicer Abuses, and Foreclosure Prevention Strategies
Published: Oct 27 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Julia Gordon, CRL Senior Policy Counsel, testifies before the Congressional Oversight Panel on HAMP, servicer abuses and foreclosure prevention.
- Testimony on Regulatory Reforms to the Community Reinvestment Act
Published: Sep 9 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ellen Harnick testifies in a joint public hearing held in Atlanta, GA regarding regulatory reforms to the Community Reinvestment Act.
- Foreclosures Continue: What Needs to Change in the Government's Response?
Published: Feb 25 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony on the government's response to continuing foreclosures by Julia Gordon before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Domestic Policy.
- Reckless Lending and Toxic Products Caused the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Jan 13 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Julia Gordon, CRL Sr. Policy Counsel, testifies before the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission on the causes and effects of the foreclosure crisis and why we need more and better responses.
- The Private Sector and Government Response to the Mortgage Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Dec 8 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Julia Gordon, CRL Sr. Policy Counsel, testifies before the House Financial Services Committee on why we need a stronger, multi-pronged approach to stopping the mortgage foreclosure epidemic
- Current Trends in Foreclosure and What More Can Be Done To Prevent Them
Published: Jul 28 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In a hearing on "Current Trends in Foreclosure and What More Can Be Done to Prevent Them," CRL's Keith Ernst urged Congress to take several actions to address the flood of foreclosures and fix the...
- Regulatory Restructuring: Enhancing Consumer Financial Products Regulation
Published: Jun 24 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, CFPB, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
Kathleen Keest, Senior Policy Counsel at CRL, testified before the House Financial Services Committee on CRL's support for a strong, state-of-the-art consumer protection agency for financial...