CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters, and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the nation's capitol. CRL frequently responds to regulators' requests for comments on lending issues. Read our written comments to regulators.
- Comments on the Military Lending Act
Published: Dec 24 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
- Letter to CFPB: Payday Rule Should Cover Longer-Term, Multi-Payment Loans
Published: May 2 2014 Issue: Payday Loans
American consumers need strong protections from unfair, deceptive or abusive practices in the payday and small-dollar lending markets. CRL joined Americans for Financial Reform and more than 100...
- Comments to Department of Defense: Expanding Credit Protections for Service Members and Their Families
Published: Aug 1 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Although the Military Lending Act has resulted in significant improvements, Service members continue to be the target of predatory lenders. In 2012, members of the military filed 61,642 complaints...
- Advocates Support Proposed Restrictions on Bank Payday Lending
Published: May 30 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL and allies urge the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) to implement and strengthen their proposed guidance to restrict "deposit...
- All Federal Credit Unions Should Shun Payday Lending
Published: May 16 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
- U.S. Senators ask Regulators to Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Jan 7 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Five U.S. Senators have asked the OCC, the FDIC and the Federal Reserve to stop the banks under their respective jurisdictions from making predatory payday loans. At least four big banks have...
- CRL Comments on Proposed Rules for NCUA Payday Alternatives Loan Program
Published: Nov 30 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL urges the NCUA to structure their Payday Alternatives Loan (PAL) program to reflect the broad range of alternatives, to prevent the program from operating like a series of high-cost payday...
- CRL and NCLC Comments on Wells Fargo Payday Lending and CRA Examination
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Wells Fargo's direct engagement in payday lending should have a significant negative impact on their upcoming Community Reinvestment Act evaluation.
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on Payday Lending Abuses
Published: Apr 23 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Payday Loans
Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on payday lending abuses on behalf of several organizations concerned about the documented abuses of payday lenders.
- AFR Sign-on to OCC on Overdraft and Bank Payday
Published: Aug 9 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Consumer groups fear OCC proposed guidance may legitimize and facilitate the spread of payday lending by national banks, and banks would continue abusive overdraft practices—harming bank customers,...
- Comments on NCUA's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Short-term, Small Amount Loans
Published: Jul 6 2010 Issue: Payday Loans
Comments of the Center for Responsible Lending on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Short-term, Small Amount Loans from National Credit Union Administration--12 CFR Part 701--RIN 3133-AD71....
- Comment: Implementation of Military Lending Amendment
Published: Feb 26 2008 Issue: Car Title Loans, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
Comments on Implementation of Limitations on Terms of Consumer Credit Extended to Service Members and Dependents
- Comment: To Department of Defense on Military Lending Act
Published: Feb 8 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Payday Loans
Comments on Military Lending Act submitted to Department of Defense by Consumer Coalition on Feb. 5, 2007.
- Small Loan CRA Comment
Published: Feb 2 2007 Issue: Car Title Loans, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
CRL Comment to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on its proposed guidelines for affordable small-dollar loans.
- Comments: RIN 3064-AC95, Proposed Rulemaking on Federal Preemption
Published: Dec 13 2005 Issue: Payday Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending submits these comments on the proposed rules, ere part of a larger package of preemption rules urged upon the FDIC by the Financial Services Roundtable.