CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters, and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the nation's capitol. CRL frequently responds to regulators' requests for comments on lending issues. Read our written comments to regulators.
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Reserve Board re: Regulation Z: Proposed Rule on Ability to Pay and Qualified Mortgage
Published: Jul 22 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In its first formal comment to the CFPB, the Center for Responsible Lending supports new Dodd-Frank mortgage reforms and urges the CFPB to ensure that lenders have appropriate consequences if they...
- Comments to the OCC: We Oppose Preempting State Consumer Protections on Mortgages, Credit Cards and Other Banking Products
Published: Jun 28 2011 Issue: Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending
CRL joins several groups in opposing proposed rules that would continue the OCC's broad preemption of state laws governing mortgages, credit cards, bank accounts and other banking products.
- Comments to the Federal Reserve Board on Proposed Regulations Under the Truth in Lending Act [Regulation Z; Docket No. R-1390]
Published: Dec 23 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The National Consumer Law Center ("NCLC") respectfully submits the following comments on behalf of its low income clients, as well as Americans for Financial Reform, California Reinvestment...
- Comments to the Federal Housing Administration on Risk Management Initiatives
Published: Aug 16 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments to the FHA on ensuring access to credit for low-wealth and minority borrowers as the agency considers risk management initiatives.
- Comments to the Federal Trade Commission on Mortgage Assistance Relief
Published: Mar 30 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The need for mortgage relief continues to grow, but too often companies that promise mortgage assistance relief services (MARS) turn out to be scammers. CRL and its allies recently submitted...
- Federal Reserve Should Ban Mortgage Kickbacks
Published: Dec 24 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In a comment letter to the Federal Reserve Board, CRL recommends strengthening proposed rules to ban routine kickbacks on home loans that already have cost Americans billions of dollars.
- Comment: Proposed 2009 GSE Housing Goals
Published: May 22 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments on proposed housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac support incentives to modify distressed mortgages.
- Comments: Proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements
Published: Aug 28 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comment on Fed's proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements.
- Comment: RESPA Proposed Rule to Simplify and Improve the Process of Obtaining Mortgages to Reduce Consumer Settlement Costs
Published: Jun 12 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comments of the Center for Responsible Lending on RESPA Proposed Rule to Simplify and Improve the Process of Obtaining Mortgages to Reduce Consumer Settlement Costs
- Comment: Proposed Rules Regarding Unfair, Deceptive, Abusiveprotect consumers from unfair or deceptive home mortgage lending and advertising practices
Published: Apr 8 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Request for comment on proposed changes to Regulation Z (Truth in Lending) to protect consumers from unfair or deceptive home mortgage lending and advertising practices. The rule, which would be...
- Comment: Implementation of Military Lending Amendment
Published: Feb 26 2008 Issue: Car Title Loans, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
Comments on Implementation of Limitations on Terms of Consumer Credit Extended to Service Members and Dependents
- Comment: Proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending
Published: May 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending submits the following comments on the proposed Interagency Statement on Subprime Mortgage Lending.
- Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
Published: Feb 7 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comments on the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks' Proposed Guidance on Non-Traditional Mortgage Risks
- CRL Comment on Federal Reserve Analysis of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data
Published: Oct 9 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Debbie Bocian's comment on the Fed's analysis of 2005 HMDA data.
- CRL Comment on OCC Working Paper #2006-1, "Foreclosures of Subprime Mortgages in Chicago"
Published: Sep 15 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL disputes the findings of an OCC study of subprime mortgage foreclosures in Chicago
- Comment: Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act Hearings
Published: Aug 15 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Public hearings on the home equity lending market and the adequacy of existing regulatory and legislative provisions in protecting the interests of consumers.
- Comment: Proposed Interagency Guidance on Nontraditional Mortgages
Published: Mar 29 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This letter highlights concerns with nontraditional mortgages in the subprime market.
- Analysis of OCC Guidelines Establishing Standards for Residential Mortgage Lending Practices
Published: Feb 3 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL feels OCC’s guidance for national banks is no substitute for meaningful and effective legislative efforts at the state and federal level.