CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters, and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the nation's capitol. CRL frequently responds to regulators' requests for comments on lending issues. Read our written comments to regulators.
- Comment on Proposed Regulations for For-Profit and Occupational Schools
Published: Jan 22 2014 Issue: Student Loans
CRL recently expressed support for the Massachusetts’ Attorney General proposed regulations for occupational and for-profit schools.
- Comment on Forced Arbitration Agreements in College Federal Aid Applications
Published: Dec 18 2013 Issue: Student Loans
In reply to the Department of Education’s request for comments on forced arbitration clauses in student federal loans, CRL called for transparency and clear disclosure. Further, CRL urged that...
- Comments to Department of Defense: Expanding Credit Protections for Service Members and Their Families
Published: Aug 1 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Although the Military Lending Act has resulted in significant improvements, Service members continue to be the target of predatory lenders. In 2012, members of the military filed 61,642 complaints...
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Amendments to 2013 Mortgage Rule
Published: Jun 3 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Advocates Support Proposed Restrictions on Bank Payday Lending
Published: May 30 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL and allies urge the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) to implement and strengthen their proposed guidance to restrict "deposit...
- Consumer Advocates Urge FHFA to Curb Lender-Placed Insurance Problems
Published: May 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In this comment to the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), CRL and seven allies comment on proposed practice limitations and broader recommendations regarding lender-placed insurance (LPI)....
- All Federal Credit Unions Should Shun Payday Lending
Published: May 16 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
- Banks Should Disclose Overdraft Fees
Published: May 9 2013 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Today banks are allowed to report overdraft fees as part of general service charge income, but CRL supports greater transparency. In this comment letter to the Federal Financial Institutions...
- CRL Comment to CFPB on Ability to Repay Standards under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z)
Published: Feb 25 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and allies comment on CFPB proposal that addresses two issues critical to the future of safe, sustainable, and affordable access to mortgage credit. First, it considers how to define...
- CRL tells CFPB the CARD Act Works, Encourages Risk-based Pricing
Published: Feb 19 2013 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments submitted by the Center for Responsible Lending to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in response to the Request for Information Regarding Credit Card Market. The CARD Act has made...
- CRL Comments to CFPB 0n Proposed Remittance Transfer Rule
Published: Jan 29 2013 Issue: CFPB
Comments submitted by CRL and National Council of La Raza concerning the proposed revision of theConsumer Financial Protection Bureau to its final rulemaking onremittance transfers under the...
- U.S. Senators ask Regulators to Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Jan 7 2013 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Five U.S. Senators have asked the OCC, the FDIC and the Federal Reserve to stop the banks under their respective jurisdictions from making predatory payday loans. At least four big banks have...
- CRL Comments on Proposed Rules for NCUA Payday Alternatives Loan Program
Published: Nov 30 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
CRL urges the NCUA to structure their Payday Alternatives Loan (PAL) program to reflect the broad range of alternatives, to prevent the program from operating like a series of high-cost payday...
- CRL and NCLC Comments on Wells Fargo Payday Lending and CRA Examination
Published: Nov 29 2012 Issue: Bank Payday Loans, Payday Loans
Wells Fargo's direct engagement in payday lending should have a significant negative impact on their upcoming Community Reinvestment Act evaluation.
- CRL Comments To the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau RE: Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z) and Loan Originator Compensation
Published: Oct 16 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL affirms that limits on loan originator compensation contained in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and in Regulation Z are important consumer protections that...
- Making Mortgage Servicing More Effective: Comments to the CFPB
Published: Oct 9 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In comments submitted to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, CRL makes a number of recommendations to help ensure loan servicers give distressed mortgages a timely, efficient and...
- CRL Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on RESPA and TILA (Regulations X and Z)
Published: Sep 7 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL offers supports the Bureau's consumer protection proposal for mortgage rules and disclosures for high-cost (HOEPA) loans. But it urges CFPB to be vigilant about evasions of HOEPA and to adopt...
- Letter to Regulators on Down Payments (QRM Requirements)
Published: Aug 30 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL and six other organizations submit comments to regulators explaining why government-mandated down payments would be damaging to lower- and middle-income families and the housing market as a whole.
- Comment to CFPB: The financial exploitation of older Americans
Published: Aug 20 2012 Issue: CFPB
CRL told the CFPB of abusive financial practices against older Americans. More than 13 million older adults live on $21,800 a year or less. Further, the average credit card debt for these consumers...
- Comments on Enterprise Housing Goals
Published: Jul 31 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and Empire Justice Center submitted comments to the Federal Housing Finance Agency on a proposed rule for the 2012-2014...