CRL's staff includes attorneys, researchers, and policy analysts in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California who study and report on predatory lending matters, and monitor legislative and regulatory activity in state capitols and in the nation's capitol. CRL frequently responds to regulators' requests for comments on lending issues. Read our written comments to regulators.
- Comments to the OCC: We Oppose Preempting State Consumer Protections on Mortgages, Credit Cards and Other Banking Products
Published: Jun 28 2011 Issue: Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending
CRL joins several groups in opposing proposed rules that would continue the OCC's broad preemption of state laws governing mortgages, credit cards, bank accounts and other banking products.
- Comments to the Federal Reserve Board on Proposed Regulations Under the Truth in Lending Act [Regulation Z; Docket No. R-1390]
Published: Dec 23 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The National Consumer Law Center ("NCLC") respectfully submits the following comments on behalf of its low income clients, as well as Americans for Financial Reform, California Reinvestment...
- Comment Letter on FDIC's Proposed Overdraft Guidance
Published: Sep 27 2010 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL and other consumer advocates filed a comment letter with the FDIC supporting most aspects of the agency's proposed guidance on overdraft. The groups also made recommendations on how the agency...
- Joint Letter in Support of FDIC Overdraft Proposals September 2010
Published: Sep 27 2010 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL and a cross-section of civil rights, labor, consumer, housing, community, business, and sustainable and responsible investor groups sent a joint letter to the FDIC expressing support for...
- Comments to the Federal Housing Administration on Risk Management Initiatives
Published: Aug 16 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments to the FHA on ensuring access to credit for low-wealth and minority borrowers as the agency considers risk management initiatives.
- Comment: Potential Violations of the Credit CARD Act
Published: Jul 7 2010 Issue: Credit Cards
CRL and consumer coalition express concerns about credit card issuer potential violations of the the Credit CARD Act of 2009. Problems related to penalty rate disclosures, variable rates, payment...
- Comments on NCUA's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Short-term, Small Amount Loans
Published: Jul 6 2010 Issue: Payday Loans
Comments of the Center for Responsible Lending on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Short-term, Small Amount Loans from National Credit Union Administration--12 CFR Part 701--RIN 3133-AD71....
- Debt Settlement Comments to the FTC
Published: Jul 2 2010 Issue: Debt Settlement
The Comments of Michael Calhoun, President, of the Center for Responsible Lending to the Federal Trade Commission regarding the Notice of Proposed Rule-Making: Telemarketing Sales Rule Debt Relief...
- Guidance to OTS on Overdraft Protection Programs
Published: Jun 28 2010 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL’s, Consumer Federation of America and the National Consumer Law Center’s comment letter to the OTS regarding the agency’s Supplemental Guidance on Overdraft Protection Programs.
- CRL Comment Letter on Garnishment of Federal Benefits
Published: Jun 18 2010 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL and other consumer groups provide comment on the Office of Personnel Management's proposed rule regarding garnishment of federal benefits.
- Comments on Proposed Reg Z Rules Re Implementation of Credit Card Act Provisions
Published: Apr 14 2010 Issue: Credit Cards
CRL and other consumer groups comments to the Federal Reserve on proposed credit card rules related to the implementation of the Credit CARD Act and penalty rates and fee increases.
- CRL and Other Groups Comment on Clarifications to Fed's Opt-In Rule
Published: Mar 30 2010 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL and other consumer groups provide comment on the Federal Reserve’s opt-in rule and the proposed changes to Regulation DD.
- Comments to the Federal Trade Commission on Mortgage Assistance Relief
Published: Mar 30 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The need for mortgage relief continues to grow, but too often companies that promise mortgage assistance relief services (MARS) turn out to be scammers. CRL and its allies recently submitted...
- Federal Reserve Should Ban Mortgage Kickbacks
Published: Dec 24 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In a comment letter to the Federal Reserve Board, CRL recommends strengthening proposed rules to ban routine kickbacks on home loans that already have cost Americans billions of dollars.
- Comment: Proposed 2009 GSE Housing Goals
Published: May 22 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments on proposed housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac support incentives to modify distressed mortgages.
- Comments on Regulation E—Overdraft Practices
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Overdraft Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending, along with Consumer Action, Consumer Federation of America, Consumers Union, National Association of Consumer Advocates, National Consumer Law Center (on behalf...
- Comments: Proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements
Published: Aug 28 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comment on Fed's proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements.
- Comment: Proposed Rule Regarding Unfair or Deceptive Acts or Practices – Overdraft Practices
Published: Aug 4 2008 Issue: Overdraft Loans
Overdraft comment letter
- Comment: Unfair or Deceptive Practices with Respect to Credit Cards
Published: Aug 4 2008 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments on Federal Reserve Board proposals regarding unfair and deceptive credit card practices, August 4, 2008.
- Comments on proposed Regulation DD amendments re Overdraft Lending
Published: Jul 18 2008 Issue: Overdraft Loans
America, Consumers Union, and the National Consumer Law Center, provide the following comments regarding the Federal Reserve Board’s proposed rule to amend Regulation DD pursuant to the Truth in...