CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending, to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers alike. We also share our market and legal knowledge with advocates and policymakers across the nation interested in reforming lending practices.
- Dealer Markup of Interest Rates is an Unfair and Deceptive Practice
Published: Mar 30 2012 Issue: Auto Financing
The Federal Trade Commission has the authority to deem dealer markups of interest rates as an unfair and deceptive practice, according to this comment letter filed by the Center for Responsible...
- Summary of National Mortgage Settlement
Published: Mar 14 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Forty-nine state attorneys generals and two government agencies have reached a $25 billion agreement with the nation's five largest mortgage servicers to address mortgage loan servicing and...
- Letter to Bank Regulators: Stop Bank Payday Lending
Published: Feb 22 2012 Issue: Payday Loans
Two hundred and fifty national, state and local organizations and individual advocates have asked bank regulators to stop banks from making predatory payday loans, which carry triple-digit annual...
- National mortgage Settlement is a game-changer
Published: Feb 17 2012 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A lawsuit highlights possible foreclosure fraud, as loan servicing employees admit they don’t actually review foreclosure documents; instead they do "robo-signing.
- Comments to the FTC on Motor Vehicle Roundtables
Published: Feb 1 2012 Issue: Auto Financing
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety, the National Association of Consumer Advocates, the National Consumer Law Center, and...
- America's Top Consumer Cop Reports to Congress
Published: Jan 31 2012 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) delivered its first agency’s first report to Congress January 31, 2012
- Highlights of the New Credit Card Rules: What They Do and Don’t Do
Published: Jan 26 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
Credit CARD Act of 2009 – Learn what the law does and does not cover.
- Comments on the Federal Housing Finance Agency Joint Initiative on Mortgage Servicing Issues
Published: Dec 27 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
FHFA has the mandate and the opportunity to improve mortgage servicing practices. CRL recommends incentives to encourage better service by loan servicers and to promote more timely and effective...
- Amicus Brief in De la Cruz v. Wachovia Dealer Services
Published: Dec 15 2011 Issue: Auto Financing
This case involves borrowers who purchased a vehicle through a dealership in California. The financial institution in question, Wachovia, did not make the loans, but later purchased the...
- Predatory Payday Lending
by Banks on the Rise
Published: Dec 2 2011 Issue: Payday Loans
Four big banks are making payday loans to customers, stripping funds from their checking accounts in a cycle of debt near 400% annual interest.
- Facing the Foreclosure Crisis:
Four Urgent Needs to Address Now.
Published: Nov 29 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
This policy brief is a companion piece to CRL's foreclosure research, "Lost Ground, 2011." Here we discuss practical policies that would help stop the foreclosure epidemic and restore confidence in...
- Amici Curiae CSJ and CRL in Guillaume
Published: Sep 26 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL filed an amicus brief to the New Jersey Supreme Court, advocating for strict compliance with New Jersey’s Fair Foreclosure Act and the federal Truth in Lending Act’s intentional reordering of...
- Comment to the Federal Reserve on Notice by Capital One to Acquire ING Bank
Published: Sep 20 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans
The Center for Responsible Lending commented on Capital One's proposed acquisistion of ING Bank at a public meeting held by Federal Reserve on September 20, 2011.
- Coalition Urges Strong Servicing Settlement that Holds Banks Accountable
Published: Aug 24 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As state Attorneys General wrap up their robo-signing investigation, CRL joins Americans for Financial Reform in urging AGs to produce a strong settlement for homeowners that prevents unnecessary...
- Comments to CFPB re Larger Participant Rulemaking
Published: Aug 15 2011 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Debt Settlement, Installment Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
- Comments to OCC on Overdraft and Bank Payday Loans
Published: Aug 9 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans
CRL filed comments to the OCC on August 8, 2011 urging them to strengthen rules on overdraft and bank payday lending. Automatic debit overdrafts, re-ordering of account transactions and direct...
- AFR Sign-on to OCC on Overdraft and Bank Payday
Published: Aug 9 2011 Issue: Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Consumer groups fear OCC proposed guidance may legitimize and facilitate the spread of payday lending by national banks, and banks would continue abusive overdraft practices—harming bank customers,...
- Qualified Residential Mortgages: How long does it take to save 10%?
Published: Aug 5 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
See how qualified residential mortgage proposals to require prospective homeowners to make a 10 percent down payment would arbitrarily lock creditworthy borrowers out of the market.
- QRM Comments: Mortgage Market of the Future can Produce Sensible Loans without High Down Payments
Published: Aug 2 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL offers comments to regulators on proposed risk retention rules, urging sensible rules that do not include mandated down payment requirements.
- Comments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Reserve Board re: Regulation Z: Proposed Rule on Ability to Pay and Qualified Mortgage
Published: Jul 22 2011 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In its first formal comment to the CFPB, the Center for Responsible Lending supports new Dodd-Frank mortgage reforms and urges the CFPB to ensure that lenders have appropriate consequences if they...