Payday Lending News
The latest news on payday loans and the payday lending industry from the Center for Responsible Lending.
- Helena City Council Sets Limits on Payday, Title Loan Businesses
AL.com 02 Sep 2014
Officials in Helena, Ala., have limited payday and auto title lending outlets to one location per 10,000 residents.
- Kennesaw Puts Moratorium on New Quick Cash Stores
WSBTV.com (Atlanta, GA) 31 Aug 2014
City leaders in Kennesaw, Ga., have placed a one-year moratorium on all new quick-cash stores, including auto title lenders and pawn shops.
- Government to Payday Lenders: Don?t Sue Us, Sue the Banks
Washington Business Journal 22 Aug 2014
Payday lenders should sue banks that refuse to take their deposits instead of suing the government, according to a group of lawyers representing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
- Ky. Payday Lenders Face Stiffened Enforcement
Louisville Courier-Journal (KY) 22 Aug 2014
The number of payday lenders in Kentucky has declined over the last three years, from 750 stores to 539, due to increased state and federal scrutiny.
- Payday Lenders Banned From Menlo Park
San Jose Mercury News 20 Aug 2014
A temporary moratorium on payday and auto title lenders in Menlo Park, Calif., was slated to expire next month but instead will be made permanent.
- Can Reengineering the Pay Cycle Disrupt Payday Lending?
American Banker 14 Aug 2014
Attempts by upstarts to provide more affordable alternatives to payday loans are tweaking the traditional pay cycle.
- New York Prosecutors Charge Payday Lenders With Usury
New York Times 12 Aug 2014
A year-long investigation of payday loans has led to New York prosecutors in Manhattan bringing criminal charges against 12 companies and their owner, Carey Vaughn Brown.
- This Week, Look at Real Sharks: Payday Lenders
The Nation 12 Aug 2014
"Shark Week" programming on the Discovery Channel is in the news this week; but activists in states like Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri are using the theme to warn about the perils of loan sharking.
- Training Emphasized Way to Double Fees on Loans for All American Check Cashing
Mississippi Business Journal 11 Aug 2014
Mississippi regulators in June issued a cease-and-desist order for Madison-based All American Check Cashing to halt all activity under its “Monthly Lending Program.
- Daly City Set to Regulate Payday Lending Businesses
San Francisco Examiner 10 Aug 2014
Officials in Daly City, Calif., expect to adopt an ordinance to regulate payday lenders and prevent the businesses from clustering in low-income neighborhoods.
- High-Interest Payday loans Called Predatory, But Regulations Die In Iowa Legislature
WCF Courier 10 Aug 2014
Many payday lenders in Iowa issue small-dollar, short-term loans that evade the state's usury laws and charge annualized interest rates as high as 400 percent.
- Alabama Judge Throws Out Payday Lenders' Lawsuit
WSFA-12 (AL) 07 Aug 2014
A judge has derailed an industry effort to stop the development of a central database to track payday loans in Alabama.
- Future Cloudy on Payday Loan Legislation
St. Joseph News-Press (MO) 03 Aug 2014
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon recently vetoed a payday loan reform bill, sponsored by Sen. Mike Cunningham (R-Rogersville), that would place more regulations on payday lenders and stop rollover loans.
- Moratorium Extended on Permitting Short-Term Lenders to Set Up Shop
Anniston Star 29 Jul 2014
City officials in Anniston, Ala., will take another three months to finalize regulations on short-term loan businesses before new lenders can open in the city.
- Pa. Snares Online Lenders Charging Interest Rates as High as 169 Percent
Newsworks.org 24 Jul 2014
Two California-based lending companies, WS Funding and Cash Call, have reached an agreement with the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities after the firms were discovered making loans at ...
- Dems Target Payday Lenders
The Hill 17 Jul 2014
On July 17, Democrats in the U.S. House and U.S. Senate introduced the Protecting Consumers from Unreasonable Credit Rates Act, which targets the fees payday lenders charge low-income borrowers for ...
- Payday Loan Case Showcases Brutal Interest Rates in an Industry Under Fire
Kansas City Star 12 Jul 2014
Online lender Geneva Roth Ventures Inc., based in Mission, Kan., and its CEO have faced legal issues in recent years that illustrate the controversial tactics used by such companies and the increased ...
- Missouri Governor Vetoes Payday Loan Legislation
St. Augustine Record 11 Jul 2014
Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has vetoed a bill that would have re-written the state's payday loan laws. He called the newly proposed limits an industry-backed “sham” that fell short of ...
- Miss. Payday Lending Company Investigated
Jackson Clarion-Ledger (MS) 02 Jul 2014
The Mississippi Department of Banking and Consumer Finance is investigating potentially illegal practices at payday lender All American Check Cashing Inc.
- Fresno City Council Votes to Put a Lid on Payday Lenders
ABC30 Action News 26 Jun 2014
The Fresno City Council has voted to limit payday lenders. City leaders have learned that Fresno's 66 existing payday lenders may be hurting the local economy by imposing interest rates topping 400 ...