Research & Analysis
CRL conducts in-depth research on the extent and impact of predatory lending to provide useful information to consumers, community advocates, and policymakers, like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. We also share our market and legal knowledge with advocates and the CFPB in hopes of reforming lending practices. Below you will find CRL's CFPB research and policy analyses, including our testimony and comment letters to the bureau.
- Poll Shows Strong Consumer Support for Financial Regulation
Published: Sep 11 2013 Issue: CFPB
Over 90 percent of likely voters support financial regulation.
- CRL to Senate Banking Committee: Confirm CFPB's Cordray
Published: Mar 19 2013 Issue: CFPB
- CRL Comments to CFPB 0n Proposed Remittance Transfer Rule
Published: Jan 29 2013 Issue: CFPB
Comments submitted by CRL and National Council of La Raza concerning the proposed revision of theConsumer Financial Protection Bureau to its final rulemaking onremittance transfers under the...
- Comment to CFPB: The financial exploitation of older Americans
Published: Aug 20 2012 Issue: CFPB
CRL told the CFPB of abusive financial practices against older Americans. More than 13 million older adults live on $21,800 a year or less. Further, the average credit card debt for these consumers...
- CRL's Testimony: A National Payday Charter Is A Bad Idea
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Car Title Loans, CFPB, Installment Loans, Payday Loans
Testimony of Kenneth W. Edwards Vice President of Federal Affairs, Center for Responsible Lending, before the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial...
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- New Poll Shows Continued Broad Support for Financial Reforms and Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 18 2012 Issue: CFPB
- CRL Remarks at CFPB Credit Reporting Field Hearing
Published: Jul 16 2012 Issue: CFPB
Remarks by Bill Sermons, Research Director Center for Responsible Lending before the Credit Reporting Field Hearing convened by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Detroit, Michigan on July...
- Comments on Qualified Mortgages to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Jul 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America and The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights responded to the CFPB's request for comments on qualified mortgages. Much...
- Comments to CFPB on Overdraft Practices
Published: Jul 6 2012 Issue: CFPB, Overdraft Loans
CRL joined with CFA and NCLC to provide the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) with documentation of bank overdraft practices and their impact on consumers. The CFPB should stop banks from...