Get Help Overview
Predatory lending costs Americans billions of dollars annually, through abusive subprime mortgage loans, payday loans, tax refund loans, and other lending scams. The North Carolina Coalition for Responsible Lending advocates for fair lending through equitable treatment of all borrowers.
Whether you are looking to buy your first home or are facing foreclosure, the following links will provide you with some tips and ways to reach out for help.
Payday loans trap millions of hard-working Americans every year, the following links will provide you with ways to avoid their debt trap and some other alternatives.
- Thinking about a payday loan? Learn the Payday Loan Basics
- What makes payday loans so dangerous? Get the Signs of Predatory Payday Loans
- Find out with the real cost of payday loans with this Payday Loan Calculator
- If you still need a short-term loan, learn the Alternatives to Payday Loans
For many unsuspecting consumers, a simple candy bar can end up costing them more than $36. The following is a list of tips that can help you stay away from overdraft fees.
- Before you use your debit card and write that check learn How to Avoid Overdraft Fees
- The FTC has published some tips to Protect Yourself from Overdraft and Bank Fees
Credit cards have become the financial lifeline for many struggling families. The following is a list of tips and tools that can help you avoid being caught deeper debt.
- Learn what credit card practices to avoid with our Tips for Credit Card Users
- Learn the basics of credit card usage with: Credit Cards: What You Need To Know
- Get the real cost of credit cards with the Credit Card Repayment Calculator
Other Consumer Loans
There are many other predatory loans that can threaten the wealth of hard-working families. The following is a list of tips and tools on how to avoid those predatory traps and where to reach out for help.
- Thinking about taking out a car title loan? Learn the Alternatives to Car Title Loans
- If you considering a tax refund loan, learn why you should Avoid Refund Anticipation Loans
- Worried about a foreclosure? Go to http://www.995hope.org/to find help.
- If you are facing foreclosure, there are resources available at http://www.nfcc.org/housing/index.cfm
- Are you seeking foreclosure counseling? Go to http://www.nw.org/network/Utilities/NWOLookup.asp
- If you are looking for a private attorney, the National Association of Consumer Advocates can help you find the right one.
- Looking for a public attorney? Look here for Legal Services
- Attorney generals are often the main legal representative of consumers in each state:Find your attorney general.