Research & Analysis
Back in 2001, we estimated that predatory mortgage lending cost consumers $9.1 billion every year. Since then, the market for subprime home loans surged, then exploded, and it has become painfully clear that the total cost of bad lending practices is almost incalculable. Still, we keep trying. In recent years our research has focused on topics such as trends in the subprime market, racial disparities in lending, and an assessment of predatory lending laws in the states. Visit us often to stay up-to-date on our latest findings, including periodic assessments of reports issued by lenders and regulatory agencies.
Search Mortgage Research & Analysis
Browse Mortgage Research & Analysis
- Regulatory Restructuring: Enhancing Consumer Financial Products Regulation
June 24, 2009
Kathleen Keest, Senior Policy Counsel at CRL, testified before the House Financial Services Committee on CRL's support for a strong, state-of-the-art consumer protection agency for financial products -- provided that the agency is independent of the companies it regulates, and fully transparent and accountable to the public.
- Comment: Proposed 2009 GSE Housing Goals
May 22, 2009
CRL's comments on proposed housing goals for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac support incentives to modify distressed mortgages.
- Soaring Spillover: Accelerating Foreclosures to Cost Neighbors $502 billion in 2009 alone; 69.5 million homes lose $7,200 on average
May 7, 2009
This is CRL's third report on the spillover impact of mortgage foreclosures. This new report is based on new CRL projections of 2.4 million foreclosures for all loans (not just subprime) in 2009, and 9 million during 2009-2012. This report also reflects a somewhat more conservative methodology for calculating the spillover impact.
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
March 25, 2009
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Examining the Making Home Affordable Program
March 19, 2009
Testimony of CRL Senior Policy Counsel Ellen Harnick before House Financial Services Subcomittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
March 11, 2009
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- Massachusetts Fights "Exploding" Subprime Mortgages
February 26, 2009
CRL applauds Massachusetts AG for using consumer protection laws, specifically the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) law, to stop foreclosures on unfair subprime loans
- Highlights of the New Housing Plan
February 20, 2009
Highlights of President Obama's plan to address the housing crisis
- Promoting Bank Liquidity and Lending Through Deposit Insurance, The HOPE for Homeowners Program, And Other Enhancements
February 3, 2009
Testimony re: H.R. 703, a bill to promote bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, the HOPE for Homeowners program, and other enhancements.
- Common-Sense Solutions for Saving Homes and Communities
January 30, 2009
CRL proposes four policy recommendations that focus on removing obstacles that prevent systematic, sustainable loan modifications