Research & Analysis
Back in 2001, we estimated that predatory mortgage lending cost consumers $9.1 billion every year. Since then, the market for subprime home loans surged, then exploded, and it has become painfully clear that the total cost of bad lending practices is almost incalculable. Still, we keep trying. In recent years our research has focused on topics such as trends in the subprime market, racial disparities in lending, and an assessment of predatory lending laws in the states. Visit us often to stay up-to-date on our latest findings, including periodic assessments of reports issued by lenders and regulatory agencies.
Browse Mortgage Research & Analysis
- HAMP, Servicer Abuses, and Foreclosure Prevention Strategies
Published: Oct 27 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Julia Gordon, CRL Senior Policy Counsel, testifies before the Congressional Oversight Panel on HAMP, servicer abuses and foreclosure prevention.
- Foreclosure as a Last Resort
Published: Oct 21 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
States are in a strong position to stabilize the housing market and prevent unnecessary foreclosures, and the best tool available is mandatory loss mitigation.
- A National Tragedy: HMDA Data Highlight Homeownership Setbacks for African Americans and Latinos
Published: Sep 24 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Borrowers of color received more unsustainable loans, suffer more than their share of foreclosures, and have less access to credit. The result is that homeownership rates have gone down for...
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau--Overview of Key Provisions
Published: Sep 1 2010 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Overview of CFPB describes its structure, funding, duties and how it will work with the states to enforce consumer protections.
- Dreams Deferred: Impacts and Characteristics of the California Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Aug 17 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
California Foreclosures: More than half of all foreclosures in the state are of Latino and African-American homeowners, according to August 2010 Center for Responsible Lending mortgage research.
- Financial Regulatory Reform: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & Key Mortgage Provisions
Published: Aug 14 2010 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Presentation on key provisions of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, relating to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and mortgage lending
- Foreclosures by Race and Ethnicity: The Demographics of a Crisis
Published: Jun 18 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Center for Responsible Lending report sheds light on the nation's foreclosure crisis by using government and industry data to estimate the number of foreclosures in recent years and their impact by...
- Why a Federal Consumer Protection Watchdog Matters to the States
Published: Apr 16 2010 Issue: CFPB
Financial companies are lobbying hard to strip states' rights to make and enforce consumer protection rules, but states must stay on the front lines of fighting predatory lending.
- Comments to the Federal Trade Commission on Mortgage Assistance Relief
Published: Mar 30 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The need for mortgage relief continues to grow, but too often companies that promise mortgage assistance relief services (MARS) turn out to be scammers. CRL and its allies recently submitted...
- Consumer Financial Protection Agency (Additional Resources)
Published: Mar 1 2010 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Financial Reform: Learn more about the CFPB/CFPA and other efforts to reform the financial system.