Research & Analysis
Back in 2001, we estimated that predatory mortgage lending cost consumers $9.1 billion every year. Since then, the market for subprime home loans surged, then exploded, and it has become painfully clear that the total cost of bad lending practices is almost incalculable. Still, we keep trying. In recent years our research has focused on topics such as trends in the subprime market, racial disparities in lending, and an assessment of predatory lending laws in the states. Visit us often to stay up-to-date on our latest findings, including periodic assessments of reports issued by lenders and regulatory agencies.
Browse Mortgage Research & Analysis
- Fixing What Went Wrong and Building on What Works in Housing Finance
Published: Oct 17 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes housing policy reforms for the GSEs.
- Civil Rights Leaders on Mortgages: Preserve Access and Low Down Payments
Published: Sep 12 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Offers Four Paths to Qualified Mortgage Status
Published: Sep 11 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
An overview of the Qualified Mortgage (QM) definition.
- Monitor Report: 643,000 Borrowers Received Over $51 billion in Benefits
Published: Sep 6 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
AG Mortgage Settlement report shows 643,000 borrowers benefitted from AG settlement.
- 2013 Update: The Spillover Costs of Foreclosures
Published: Aug 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The harm caused by over 12.5 million foreclosures is the focus of this brief, the fifth in a series of updated on related findings.
- Government-Mandated Down Payment Standards Would Harm the Economy, Deny Homeownership to Credit-Worthy Families
Published: Aug 15 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Government mandated down payments would deny homeownership opportunities.
- Foreclosure Counseling: Areas of Greatest Need in 2013
Published: Jul 31 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Where foreclosures have hit the hardest and where the greatest need still remains in 2013 is the focus of this analysis on foreclosure counseling.
- CRL Testimony: Prioritize Safe and Affordable Mortgage Access
Published: Jul 19 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Committee hearing on housing finance reform and the future of homeownership.
- CRL to Regulators: Align Qualified Mortgage (QM) and Qualified Residential Mortgage (QRM) Rules
Published: Jun 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As regulators move to define Qualified Residential Mortgages (QRMs), CRL urges the same standard that CFPB defined for Qualified Mortgages (QM).
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...