Research & Analysis
Back in 2001, we estimated that predatory mortgage lending cost consumers $9.1 billion every year. Since then, the market for subprime home loans surged, then exploded, and it has become painfully clear that the total cost of bad lending practices is almost incalculable. Still, we keep trying. In recent years our research has focused on topics such as trends in the subprime market, racial disparities in lending, and an assessment of predatory lending laws in the states. Visit us often to stay up-to-date on our latest findings, including periodic assessments of reports issued by lenders and regulatory agencies.
Search Mortgage Research & Analysis
Browse Mortgage Research & Analysis
- Comments: Proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements
August 28, 2008
CRL's comment on Fed's proposed changes to HMDA reporting requirements.
- The Mortgage Crisis Today: How Far Have We Come and Where Do We Need to Go?
August 4, 2008
Overview of subprime and alternative lending market with focus on California
- A Review of Mortgage Servicing Practices and Foreclosure Mitigation
July 25, 2008
CRL urges action be taken to prevent further escalation of foreclosure crisis.
- IndyMac: What Went Wrong: How an “Alt-A” Leader Fueled Its Growth With Unsound and Abusive Mortgage Lending
June 30, 2008
A detailed analysis of the failure of IndyMac
- Analysis of HR 6076
June 27, 2008
Explanation and endorsement of HR 6076: Home Retention and Economic Stabilization Act
- Comment: RESPA Proposed Rule to Simplify and Improve the Process of Obtaining Mortgages to Reduce Consumer Settlement Costs
June 12, 2008
Comments of the Center for Responsible Lending on RESPA Proposed Rule to Simplify and Improve the Process of Obtaining Mortgages to Reduce Consumer Settlement Costs
- RESPA and its Impact on Small Business
May 22, 2008
- Protect States’ Rights to Prevent Foreclosures
May 7, 2008
Note urges support of the Miller-LaTourette amendment which urges compliance with state consumer protection laws
- Improving Consumer Protections in Subprime Home Lending
April 29, 2008
- H.R. 5679: The Foreclosure Prevention and Sound Mortgage Servicing Act of 2008
April 16, 2008
Testimony of Julia Gordon before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity