Research & Analysis
Back in 2001, we estimated that predatory mortgage lending cost consumers $9.1 billion every year. Since then, the market for subprime home loans surged, then exploded, and it has become painfully clear that the total cost of bad lending practices is almost incalculable. Still, we keep trying. In recent years our research has focused on topics such as trends in the subprime market, racial disparities in lending, and an assessment of predatory lending laws in the states. Visit us often to stay up-to-date on our latest findings, including periodic assessments of reports issued by lenders and regulatory agencies.
Browse Mortgage Research & Analysis
- Poll: Strong Support for New Mortgage Lending Rules that Require Verification of Ability to Repay
Published: Nov 13 2015 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Loan-level Certification Requirements for FHA Insured Mortgages Comment
Published: Oct 6 2015 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Comments on Proposed Changes to Federal Housing Administration Loan Certifications
Published: Jul 14 2015 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- FHFA Director Responds to Housing Advocates: Broadening Mortgage Access is a 2015 Priority
Published: Dec 18 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In mid-November, CRL joined with the National Consumer Law Center (NCLC) and several other consumer and civil rights advocates, wrote FHFA calling for revised underwriting standards that would...
- CRL Comment on HMDA Changes
Published: Oct 29 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On October 29, the Center for Responsible Lending joined a coalition of consumer and civil rights organization to comment on the proposed changes to the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)...
- 2013 HMDA: Data Show People of Color Being Left Behind in Slowly Recovering Mortgage Market
Published: Sep 30 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
The 2013 mortgage data submitted by lenders under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) reflects a slowly recovering mortgage market that troublingly continues to under-serve important market...
- CRL President Mike Calhoun Testifies Before Senate Banking Committee
Published: Sep 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
On September 16, CRL President Mike Calhoun delivered testimony before the Senate Banking Committee at a hearing called “Examining the State of Small Depository Institutions.”
- CRL Supports Proposed CFPB Amendments to Qualified Mortgage Rule (QM)
Published: Jun 16 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In these comments, CRL expresses general support for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s proposals to amend the 2013 Mortgage Rules under the Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z).
- Comment Letter to Senate Banking Committee on Housing Finance Reform Bill
Published: Feb 28 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
A 13-member coalition of civil rights, housing and legal advocates called upon the U.S. Senate Banking Committee to preserve equal access to mortgage credit for all qualified borrowers.
- New Reforms Promote Stability in the Mortgage Market, Protect Access to Credit
Published: Jan 14 2014 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL President Mike Calhoun testified before the House Financial Services Committee that CFPB’s rules strike the right balance of providing borrower protections while also ensuring access to credit.