Consumer Financial Protection Agency (Additional Resources)
Published: March 1, 2010
- No Credit Crunch: The CFPB and Consumer Access to Credit
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun, CRL President, testified that lack of regulation led to the foreclosure crisis. The Dodd-Frank reforms and CFPB are important reforms to prevent a future housing crisis, and will be...
- Comments on Qualified Mortgages to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Jul 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
The Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America and The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights responded to the CFPB's request for comments on qualified mortgages. Much...
- Regulatory Compliance Costs and Small Financial Institutions
Published: May 9 2012 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
CRL President Michael Calhoun testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on the benefits of strong lending protections. Financial reform, including the CFPB, is good for American...
- Comments to CFPB re Larger Participant Rulemaking
Published: Aug 15 2011 Issue: CFPB, Debt Settlement, Installment Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
- Enhanced Consumer Financial Protection After the Financial Crisis
Published: Jul 19 2011 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Unsustainable lending pushed us into the financial crisis, and sustainable lending and responsible consumer financial services products are needed to restore and maintain economic health. An...
- New Poll: Broad Bipartisan Support for Financial Reform and Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 19 2011 Issue: CFPB
A new poll reveals that American voters broadly support the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform law, by a 5 to 1 margin, and across all political parties.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau--Overview of Key Provisions
Published: Sep 1 2010 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Overview of CFPB describes its structure, funding, duties and how it will work with the states to enforce consumer protections.
- Financial Regulatory Reform: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & Key Mortgage Provisions
Published: Aug 14 2010 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
Presentation on key provisions of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, relating to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and mortgage lending
- Auto Dealers Should Play By The Same Rules As Everyone Else
Published: Jun 17 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
The auto dealer lobby successfully fought to receive a special exemption in the House from the rules of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in the financial reform bill even when the...
- The Consumer Financial Protection Agency Should Be Independently Funded
Published: Jun 7 2010 Issue: CFPB
To ensure that the CFPA is independent of the industry it is trying to regulate, Congress must ensure that the funding source remains independent of political pressure.
- The Snowe-Pryor Prioritizes Small Businesses Over Families, Taxpayers and Other Key Stakeholders
Published: Jun 7 2010 Issue: CFPB
The Snowe-Pryor Senate financial reform bill proposal would create a layer of bureaucracy that is redundant and dangerous. This language would prioritize small businesses over families, taxpayers...
- Racial Disparities in Auto Lending
Published: May 4 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
A brief by the National Consumer Law Center shows state-by-state markups on auto loan rates by race, revealing wide disparities between costs for African-American and white car buyers.
- All Auto Financing Should be Covered by the Consumer Watchdog
Published: Apr 29 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
Consumer Advocates and The Pentagon Call for all Auto Dealer-Lenders to be Covered by Consumer Watchdog.
- Myths vs. Facts about the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Apr 23 2010 Issue: CFPB
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would actually reduce regulatory burden while increasing safety and soundness and making loans more affordable.
- Essentials of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Published: Apr 16 2010 Issue: CFPB
Here's a quick reference on what the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would do, what it wouldn't do, and the most important parts of proposed financial reform legislation to help ensure strong...
- Why a Federal Consumer Protection Watchdog Matters to the States
Published: Apr 16 2010 Issue: CFPB
Financial companies are lobbying hard to strip states' rights to make and enforce consumer protection rules, but states must stay on the front lines of fighting predatory lending.
- Military Coalition Letter to Senate Banking re Car Dealer Exemption from CFPB
Published: Apr 15 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
The Military Coalition expressed opposition via letter to the Senate Banking Committee about exempting car dealers from the financial reform bill on April 15 2010. The Department of Defense wrote a...
- No Carve-Outs for Auto Dealers
Published: Apr 12 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
Car Lenders Must Be Covered by the CFPA.
- Comparison of Consumer Financial Protection Agency Bills
Published: Mar 18 2010 Issue: CFPB
How Does Dodd’s Latest Financial Reform Bill Measure Up On Consumer Protection? Comparison of Senate, House, and Administration CFPA Bills from Think Progress:...
- DoD Letter in Support of CFPA Requests No Auto Dealer Carve Out
Published: Feb 26 2010 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB
In a letter to the Treasury Department, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced its support for financial reform, including the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Agency, to protect its...
- The Consumer Financial Protection Agency: What You Need to Know
Published: Oct 30 2009 Issue: CFPB
- Consumer Financial Protection Agency Could Have Stopped Abuses that Plague Americans Today
Published: Oct 23 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, CFPB, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
CRL shares stories of everyday people affected by financial abuse and emphasizes the need for the Consumer Financial Protection Agency to ensure that they and others are protected from such abuses...
- CRL supports a strong, non-preemptive Consumer Financial Protection Agency
Published: Oct 19 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, CFPB, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans
CRL letter to Members of House Financial Services Committee outlining support and opposition to various CFPA amendments on states' rights, credit-related insurance, and carve outs for credit unions...
- Michael Calhoun's Testimony on Perspectives on the Consumer Financial Protection Agency
Published: Sep 30 2009 Issue: CFPB
CRL's views on the proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency. CRL President Michael Calhoun testifed before the House Financial Services Committee on September 30, 2009, stressing the...
- Brief Overview of the Consumer Financial Protection Agency
Published: Sep 15 2009 Issue: CFPB
A brief overview of how the Consumer Financial Protection Agency would ensure that banking is safe for all Americans.
- Consumer Financial Protection Agency: Myths versus Reality
Published: Aug 13 2009 Issue: CFPB
- Neglect and Inaction: An Analysis of Federal Banking Regulators’ Failure to Enforce Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 13 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, CFPB, Credit Cards
The failure of the bank regulators to protect consumers is a systematic problem that has stretched over at least several decades.
- Regulatory Restructuring: Enhancing Consumer Financial Products Regulation
Published: Jun 24 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, CFPB, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
Kathleen Keest, Senior Policy Counsel at CRL, testified before the House Financial Services Committee on CRL's support for a strong, state-of-the-art consumer protection agency for financial...
- Overview of the Obama Administration’s Proposed Consumer Financial Protection Agency
Published: Jun 24 2009 Issue: CFPB, Mortgage Lending
This summary focuses only on the consumer protection component of the Obama Administration’s Financial Regulatory Reform proposal.
- Six Principles for Real Reform: Balancing Bank Safety and Sensible Lending
Published: Jun 24 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, CFPB, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans
As Congress considers how to address improving consumer protection and regulation of our financial system going forward over the next several months, we offer six essential principles for achieving...