Policy & Legislation
During the years that led up to the subprime mortgage crisis, Congress was notably passive in dealing with the proliferation of abuses that flourished in a reckless lending environment. The foreclosure crisis that triggered today’s economic problems underscores the need for sensible regulations and protections. Today there are many reforms being weighed and balanced in Washington and in the states. Here we help you keep abreast of proposed policies and their pros and cons.
Browse Mortgage Policy & Legislation
- Implementing Mortgage Rules for Financial Reform: Recommendations for Defining "Qualified Residential Mortgages" and Formulating Lending and Servicing Standards
Published: Dec 21 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Implementing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act: Letter from CRL and allies with specific recommendations for mortgage and servicing standards, including how to define...
- Summary of Key Provisions (Mortgage Originations) in Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
Published: Dec 1 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Detailed description of provisions in Title XIV: “Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act” Subtitles A-C: Mortgage Originations
- Robo-Signing, Chain of Title, Loss Mitigation and Other Issues in Mortgage Servicing
Published: Nov 18 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Senior policy counsel Julia Gordon testifies before a House Financial Services subcommittee on robo-signing and how to use all available tools to address the foreclosure crisis.
- HAMP, Servicer Abuses, and Foreclosure Prevention Strategies
Published: Oct 27 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Julia Gordon, CRL Senior Policy Counsel, testifies before the Congressional Oversight Panel on HAMP, servicer abuses and foreclosure prevention.
- Foreclosure as a Last Resort
Published: Oct 21 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
States are in a strong position to stabilize the housing market and prevent unnecessary foreclosures, and the best tool available is mandatory loss mitigation.
- Testimony on Regulatory Reforms to the Community Reinvestment Act
Published: Sep 9 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ellen Harnick testifies in a joint public hearing held in Atlanta, GA regarding regulatory reforms to the Community Reinvestment Act.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau--Overview of Key Provisions
Published: Sep 1 2010 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Mortgage Lending
Overview of CFPB describes its structure, funding, duties and how it will work with the states to enforce consumer protections.
- Eliminating Systematic Charges on Home Loans: Fed Rules on Yield Spread Premiums
Published: Aug 19 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Fed issues final rules on yield spread premiums.
- Comments to the Federal Housing Administration on Risk Management Initiatives
Published: Aug 16 2010 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's comments to the FHA on ensuring access to credit for low-wealth and minority borrowers as the agency considers risk management initiatives.
- Financial Regulatory Reform: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & Key Mortgage Provisions
Published: Aug 14 2010 Issue: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Mortgage Lending
Presentation on key provisions of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law, relating to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and mortgage lending