Policy & Legislation
During the years that led up to the subprime mortgage crisis, Congress was notably passive in dealing with the proliferation of abuses that flourished in a reckless lending environment. The foreclosure crisis that triggered today’s economic problems underscores the need for sensible regulations and protections. Today there are many reforms being weighed and balanced in Washington and in the states. Here we help you keep abreast of proposed policies and their pros and cons.
Browse Mortgage Policy & Legislation
- CRL Testimony to Senate Banking Committee : Preserve What Works, Reform What Needs Change
Published: Oct 29 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In testimony before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Eric Stein, CRL Senior Vice-President, reminded lawmakers that consumer concerns must not be lost in proposed...
- Fixing What Went Wrong and Building on What Works in Housing Finance
Published: Oct 17 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes housing policy reforms for the GSEs.
- Civil Rights Leaders on Mortgages: Preserve Access and Low Down Payments
Published: Sep 12 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Offers Four Paths to Qualified Mortgage Status
Published: Sep 11 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
An overview of the Qualified Mortgage (QM) definition.
- Monitor Report: 643,000 Borrowers Received Over $51 billion in Benefits
Published: Sep 6 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
AG Mortgage Settlement report shows 643,000 borrowers benefitted from AG settlement.
- Government-Mandated Down Payment Standards Would Harm the Economy, Deny Homeownership to Credit-Worthy Families
Published: Aug 15 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Government mandated down payments would deny homeownership opportunities.
- CRL Testimony: Prioritize Safe and Affordable Mortgage Access
Published: Jul 19 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Committee hearing on housing finance reform and the future of homeownership.
- CRL to Regulators: Align Qualified Mortgage (QM) and Qualified Residential Mortgage (QRM) Rules
Published: Jun 28 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
As regulators move to define Qualified Residential Mortgages (QRMs), CRL urges the same standard that CFPB defined for Qualified Mortgages (QM).
- Dodd-Frank Act Balances Access to Credit and Key Protections
Published: Jun 18 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Michael Calhoun, CRL President, testified before a House Financial Services Subcommittee on Dodd-Frank's impact on homeownership. He said that, as a whole, these rules expand access to credit while...
- Comparing Dual Track Foreclosure Restrictions
Published: Jun 13 2013 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL compares the dual track foreclosure restrictions and requirements in the National Mortgage Settlement, the California Homeowner Bill of Rights and related rules from the Consumer Financial...