Policy & Legislation
During the years that led up to the subprime mortgage crisis, Congress was notably passive in dealing with the proliferation of abuses that flourished in a reckless lending environment. The foreclosure crisis that triggered today’s economic problems underscores the need for sensible regulations and protections. Today there are many reforms being weighed and balanced in Washington and in the states. Here we help you keep abreast of proposed policies and their pros and cons.
Browse Mortgage Policy & Legislation
- Independent contractors of federally chartered banks must comply with state laws
Published: Feb 15 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus brief in support of Ohio Commissioner of Banks Reardon in State Farm Bank, F.S.B. v. Reardon. CRL argues that Ohio's mortgage broker laws apply to the independent contractors of State...
- State attorneys general can punish federally chartered banks for violating state laws
Published: Feb 8 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the New York Attorney General in Cuomo v. The Clearing House Association, L.L.P. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the National Bank Act's...
- Banks must record all transfers in loan ownership before foreclosing in Minnesota
Published: Jan 28 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's pleadings and briefs on behalf of the plaintiffs in Jackson v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc. CRL represents a class of Minnesota homeowners facing foreclosure who allege that...
- HR 3609 - Compromise Bill Permitting Court-Supervised Loan Modifications Would Save 600,000 Homes
Published: Jan 18 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Report urges court-supervised loan modifications
- Analysis of HR 3609 Compromise Bill
Published: Jan 10 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Overview of HR 3609 - Summary of Compromise Bill: Permitting Judicial Modification of Home Loans as Alternative to Foreclosure
- S.2452: Home Ownership Preservation and Protection Act of 2007
Published: Dec 18 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Overview of S.2452: Home Ownership Preservation and Protection Act of 2007
- Accelerating Loan Modifications, Improving Foreclosure Prevention and Enhancing Enforcement
Published: Dec 6 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Mike Calhoun's testimony re Accelerating Loan Modifications, Improving Foreclosure Prevention and Enhancing Enforcement.
- The Looming Foreclosure Crisis: How To Help Families Save Their Homes
Published: Dec 5 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Stein urges loan modifications to help help families save homes
- Constitutionality of Applying Bankruptcy Code Amendments to Existing Mortgages
Published: Nov 17 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Analysis concludes that there is no constitutional impediment to applying to existing debts the Bankruptcy Code amendments proposed by the Emergency Home Ownership and Mortgage Equity Protection...
- “Toxic Mortgages” under HR 3915: Virtual Immunity
Published: Nov 5 2007 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Facts about Payment Option ARMs