Policy & Legislation
During the years that led up to the subprime mortgage crisis, Congress was notably passive in dealing with the proliferation of abuses that flourished in a reckless lending environment. The foreclosure crisis that triggered today’s economic problems underscores the need for sensible regulations and protections. Today there are many reforms being weighed and balanced in Washington and in the states. Here we help you keep abreast of proposed policies and their pros and cons.
Browse Mortgage Policy & Legislation
- Foreclosure rescue scams in Virginia create mortgages under equitable principles
Published: May 27 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's briefs on behalf of the appellants in Johnson v. Washington. CRL represents Virginia homeowners who signed a deed purporting to sell their house to an investor in a foreclosure rescue scam...
- RESPA and its Impact on Small Business
Published: May 22 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Protect States’ Rights to Prevent Foreclosures
Published: May 7 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Note urges support of the Miller-LaTourette amendment which urges compliance with state consumer protection laws
- Improving Consumer Protections in Subprime Home Lending
Published: Apr 29 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- H.R. 5679: The Foreclosure Prevention and Sound Mortgage Servicing Act of 2008
Published: Apr 16 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of Julia Gordon before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity
- Banks must record all transfers in loan ownership before foreclosing in Minnesota
Published: Apr 14 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's pleadings and briefs on behalf of the plaintiffs in Jackson v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc. CRL represents a class of Minnesota homeowners facing foreclosure who allege that...
- Turmoil in U.S. Credit Markets: Examining Proposals to Mitigate Foreclosures and Restore Liquidity to the Mortgage Markets
Published: Apr 10 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
- Comment: Proposed Rules Regarding Unfair, Deceptive, Abusiveprotect consumers from unfair or deceptive home mortgage lending and advertising practices
Published: Apr 8 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Request for comment on proposed changes to Regulation Z (Truth in Lending) to protect consumers from unfair or deceptive home mortgage lending and advertising practices. The rule, which would be...
- Court-supervised modifications would make large-scale foreclosure prevention possible
Published: Mar 7 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL supports court-supervised loan modifications
- Impact of and Reactions to Proposed Regulation Z Revisions
Published: Mar 5 2008 Issue: Mortgage Lending