Policy & Legislation
During the years that led up to the subprime mortgage crisis, Congress was notably passive in dealing with the proliferation of abuses that flourished in a reckless lending environment. The foreclosure crisis that triggered today’s economic problems underscores the need for sensible regulations and protections. Today there are many reforms being weighed and balanced in Washington and in the states. Here we help you keep abreast of proposed policies and their pros and cons.
Browse Mortgage Policy & Legislation
- H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act of 2009
Published: Apr 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress has an opportunity to prevent another mortgage fiasco by passing stronger protections on home lending.
- Borrowers can file class actions to void illegal loans (petition)
Published: Mar 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's brief on behalf of the petitioners seeking certiorari from the United States Supreme Court in Andrews v. Chevy Chase Bank. CRL represents a Wisconsin couple, who was one of thousands of...
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Mar 25 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Examining the Making Home Affordable Program
Published: Mar 19 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony of CRL Senior Policy Counsel Ellen Harnick before House Financial Services Subcomittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
Published: Mar 11 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- State attorneys general can punish federally chartered banks for violating state laws
Published: Mar 4 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL's amicus briefs in support of the New York Attorney General in Cuomo v. The Clearing House Association, L.L.P. CRL, along with a number of consumer groups, argues that the National Bank Act's...
- Massachusetts Fights "Exploding" Subprime Mortgages
Published: Feb 26 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL applauds Massachusetts AG for using consumer protection laws, specifically the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) law, to stop foreclosures on unfair subprime loans
- Highlights of the New Housing Plan
Published: Feb 20 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of President Obama's plan to address the housing crisis
- Promoting Bank Liquidity and Lending Through Deposit Insurance, The HOPE for Homeowners Program, And Other Enhancements
Published: Feb 3 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony re: H.R. 703, a bill to promote bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, the HOPE for Homeowners program, and other enhancements.
- Common-Sense Solutions for Saving Homes and Communities
Published: Jan 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes four policy recommendations that focus on removing obstacles that prevent systematic, sustainable loan modifications