In 1994, the average home cost about $150,000, and almost no one had ever heard of a subprime loan. That was also the year when Congress last took any major action against predatory mortgage lending. Today federal lawmakers are playing catch-up as they consider key legislation to stop foreclosures and strengthen protections against abusive lending practices.
Search Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
Browse Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
September 20, 2006
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act: Newly Collected Data and What It Means
June 13, 2006
Ernst proposes ways to strengthen the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- The Price of Ownership: What the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Reveals About Minorities and Lending
June 27, 2005
Ernst urges reform of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- Legislative Solutions to Abusive Mortgage Lending Practices
May 24, 2005
Eakes urges reform of the subprime mortgage market
- The Federal Home Loan Bank System
April 13, 2005
Eakes lauds FHLBs and makes suggestions for improvement
- Predatory Lending and its Impact on the Military and Local Communities
March 29, 2005
Makes correlation between predatory/payday lending and the impact on the military and local communities
- Promoting Homeownership by Ensuring Liquidity in the Subprime Mortgage Market
June 23, 2004
Prepared Testimony of Michael D. Calhoun, General Counsel, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity Joint Hearing Entitled "Promoting Homeownership by Ensuring Liquidity in the Subprime Mortgage Market" June 23, 2004.
- Review of the National Bank Preemption Rules
April 7, 2004
Hearing on the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's Rules on National Bank Preemption and Visitorial Powers
- "Subprime Lending: Defining the Market and Its Customers"
March 30, 2004
Prepared Testimony of Eric Stein, Senior Vice President, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit and Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity Joint Hearing
- Protecting Homeowners: Preventing Abusive Lending While Preserving Access to Credit
November 5, 2003
Prepared Testimony of George Brown, Senior Vice President, Self-Help and Spokesperson, Coalition for Responsible Lending before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit and the Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity.