In 1994, the average home cost about $150,000, and almost no one had ever heard of a subprime loan. That was also the year when Congress last took any major action against predatory mortgage lending. Today federal lawmakers are playing catch-up as they consider key legislation to stop foreclosures and strengthen protections against abusive lending practices.
Search Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
Browse Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
- Calculated Risk: Assessing Non-Traditional Mortgage Products
Published: Sep 20 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Calhoun urges federal regulators to require subprime lenders to evaluate borrower’s ability to repay before making a mortgage loan, and also by strengthening enforcement against unscrupulous lenders
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act: Newly Collected Data and What It Means
Published: Jun 13 2006 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ernst proposes ways to strengthen the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- The Price of Ownership: What the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Reveals About Minorities and Lending
Published: Jun 27 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Ernst urges reform of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- Legislative Solutions to Abusive Mortgage Lending Practices
Published: May 24 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes urges reform of the subprime mortgage market
- The Federal Home Loan Bank System
Published: Apr 13 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Eakes lauds FHLBs and makes suggestions for improvement
- Predatory Lending and its Impact on the Military and Local Communities
Published: Mar 29 2005 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Makes correlation between predatory/payday lending and the impact on the military and local communities
- Promoting Homeownership by Ensuring Liquidity in the Subprime Mortgage Market
Published: Jun 23 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of Michael D. Calhoun, General Counsel, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee on Housing and Community...
- Review of the National Bank Preemption Rules
Published: Apr 7 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Hearing on the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's Rules on National Bank Preemption and Visitorial Powers
- "Subprime Lending: Defining the Market and Its Customers"
Published: Mar 30 2004 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of Eric Stein, Senior Vice President, Center for Responsible Lending before Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit and Subcommittee on Housing and Community...
- Protecting Homeowners: Preventing Abusive Lending While Preserving Access to Credit
Published: Nov 5 2003 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Prepared Testimony of George Brown, Senior Vice President, Self-Help and Spokesperson, Coalition for Responsible Lending before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions...