In 1994, the average home cost about $150,000, and almost no one had ever heard of a subprime loan. That was also the year when Congress last took any major action against predatory mortgage lending. Today federal lawmakers are playing catch-up as they consider key legislation to stop foreclosures and strengthen protections against abusive lending practices.
Search Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
Browse Mortgage Lending - Policy & Legislation - Congress
- Current Trends in Foreclosure and What More Can Be Done To Prevent Them
Published: Jul 28 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
In a hearing on "Current Trends in Foreclosure and What More Can Be Done to Prevent Them," CRL's Keith Ernst urged Congress to take several actions to address the flood of foreclosures and fix the...
- Financial Reform that Protects Consumers
Published: Jun 25 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
For years, federal bank regulators looked the other way; now Congress has a chance to reform our system of checks and balances, make banks accountable, and protect consumers from abusive financial...
- Regulatory Restructuring: Enhancing Consumer Financial Products Regulation
Published: Jun 24 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Car Title Loans, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Credit Cards, Mortgage Lending, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans, Refund Anticipation Loans
Kathleen Keest, Senior Policy Counsel at CRL, testified before the House Financial Services Committee on CRL's support for a strong, state-of-the-art consumer protection agency for financial...
- H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act of 2009
Published: Apr 23 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Congress has an opportunity to prevent another mortgage fiasco by passing stronger protections on home lending.
- Solutions to the Foreclosure Crisis
Published: Mar 25 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of legislation CRL endorsed which focuses on ways to fix the foreclosure crisis
- Mortgage Lending Reform: A Comprehensive Review of the American Mortgage System
Published: Mar 11 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Comprehensive testimony detailing the current state of the mortgage system, the reasons it is broken, and the steps and tools needed to stem the massive growth of foreclosures.
- Highlights of the New Housing Plan
Published: Feb 20 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Highlights of President Obama's plan to address the housing crisis
- Promoting Bank Liquidity and Lending Through Deposit Insurance, The HOPE for Homeowners Program, And Other Enhancements
Published: Feb 3 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Testimony re: H.R. 703, a bill to promote bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, the HOPE for Homeowners program, and other enhancements.
- Common-Sense Solutions for Saving Homes and Communities
Published: Jan 30 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
CRL proposes four policy recommendations that focus on removing obstacles that prevent systematic, sustainable loan modifications
- CRL’s Summary of Credit Suisse Findings on Bankruptcy Reform
Published: Jan 29 2009 Issue: Mortgage Lending
Excerpts from Credit Suisse report which discussed bankruptcy reform