Policy & Legislation
Deregulation has created a world where credit card issuers construct the terms, rules, and practices in their contracts without the check of meaningful lawas and consumer protections. In a hobbled economy and as American credit card debt approaches one trillion dollars, the legislative and regulatory landscape must restore balance and fairness.
Browse Credit Cards - Policy & Legislation
- CRL tells CFPB the CARD Act Works, Encourages Risk-based Pricing
Published: Feb 19 2013 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments submitted by the Center for Responsible Lending to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in response to the Request for Information Regarding Credit Card Market. The CARD Act has made...
- CRL Tells CFPB: Prepaid Cards Lack Consumer Protections
Published: Jul 24 2012 Issue: Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
The CFPB should prohibit overdraft and credit features on prepaid cards.
- Are prepaid credit cards helping or hurting consumers?
Published: May 25 2012 Issue: CFPB, Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards
Martin Eakes remarks on prepaid cards before a CFPB field hearing.
- Highlights of the New Credit Card Rules: What They Do and Don’t Do
Published: Jan 26 2012 Issue: Credit Cards
Credit CARD Act of 2009 – Learn what the law does and does not cover.
- Comment: Potential Violations of the Credit CARD Act
Published: Jul 7 2010 Issue: Credit Cards
CRL and consumer coalition express concerns about credit card issuer potential violations of the the Credit CARD Act of 2009. Problems related to penalty rate disclosures, variable rates, payment...
- Comments on Proposed Reg Z Rules Re Implementation of Credit Card Act Provisions
Published: Apr 14 2010 Issue: Credit Cards
CRL and other consumer groups comments to the Federal Reserve on proposed credit card rules related to the implementation of the Credit CARD Act and penalty rates and fee increases.
- Congressional Research Service Memo re H.R. 627
Published: May 12 2009 Issue: Credit Cards
This memorandum provides a comparative analysis of H.R. 627 (the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights Act of 2009), as passed by the House on April 30, 2009, and the amendment in the nature of a...
- Testimony of Kathleen Keest In Regards To HR 2309
Published: May 12 2009 Issue: Auto Financing, Credit Cards, Financial Literacy, Overdraft Loans, Payday Loans
Testimony of Kathleen E. Keest on behalf of the Center for Responsible Lending, Consumer Federation of America, and the National Consumer Law Center before the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and...
- Comment: Unfair or Deceptive Practices with Respect to Credit Cards
Published: Aug 4 2008 Issue: Credit Cards
Comments on Federal Reserve Board proposals regarding unfair and deceptive credit card practices, August 4, 2008.
- Improving Credit Card Consumer Protection: Recent Industry and Regulatory Initiatives
Published: Jun 7 2007 Issue: Credit Cards
Testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services