Policy & Legislation
The California office works with regulatory agencies as well as with the legislative and executive branches on mortgage lending policy.
- SB 1275: Fairness, Transparency, Accountability
May 13, 2010
SB 1275, a California mortgage lending bill addresses record foreclosures and problems with loan servicers.
- Protecting Homeownership, Reforming the Marketplace: The California Legislature’s Role in Today’s Crisis
February 3, 2009
CRL California policy analysis examines the role of the California legislature in addressing the foreclosure crisis.
- 2009 California Mortgage Lending Toolkit for New Legislators
January 1, 2009
The California Office of the Center for Responsible Lending prepared the following documents to help California's newest legislators navigate the predatory mortgage lending arena.
- SNAPSHOT: California Mortgage and Foreclosure Data January 2009
January 1, 2009
After years of industry-blocked efforts to strengthen lending standards, the growth in reckless lending and abusive practices has left California facing a foreclosure crisis with catastrophic consequences for families, California needs policy reforms to stem the tide of foreclosures, and to tighten lending standards to prevent a repeat of this foreclosure crisis.communities, and the California economy as a whole.
- The Mortgage Crisis Today: How Far Have We Come and Where Do We Need to Go?
August 4, 2008
Overview of subprime and alternative lending market with focus on California
- Preserving the American Dream: Home Ownership and the Subprime Mortgage Crisis
August 21, 2007
Testimony before California Senate Banking Committee
- Testimony: Paul Leonard to California Senate Banking 03/26/2007
March 26, 2007
Problems of the subprime market and their impact on Californians and the state of California: testimony of Paul Leonard, Director of the California Office of the Center for Responsible Lending before the California Senate Banking Committee March 26, 2007.