Director of State Policy
Position Announcement: May 29, 2014
Position: Director of State Policy
Location: Durham, NC
The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization that promotes responsible lending practices and access to fair terms of credit for low-wealth families. CRL was created in 2002 to protect homeownership and family wealth by working to eliminate predatory lending and other abusive financial practices. Our work has helped lead to major changes in lending practices, saving families over $2 billion annually. CRL has more than 40 employees and offices in Durham, NC; Oakland, CA; and in Washington, DC.
CRL is an affiliate of Self-Help, a community development lender founded in 1980 that has provided over $6 billion dollars in financing to help over 75,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, build businesses and strengthen community resources.
CRL is seeking candidates for the position of Director of State Policy. The Director will oversee the team working in the states to eliminate abusive financial practices and protect family assets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate state strategy for legislative and regulatory advocacy campaigns across multiple CRL’s issue areas, including developing CRL’s state policy objectives, identifying new opportunities for state advocacy, and working with our federal team on joint efforts;
- Supervise a team that primarily engages in state policy advocacy;
- Develop and direct plans to establish, maintain and leverage relationships and coalitions among a diverse range of community groups, political interests, opinion-leaders and other stakeholders to further CRL policy goals;
- Provide technical support to state-based coalitions and coordinate within the state team and with other CRL teams;
- Directly engage a broad political range of state legislative leadership, committee members, rank and file legislators and staff and allies in order to enact policy changes at the state level;
- Monitor budgets and evaluate the effectiveness of all state policy initiatives;
- Represent the Center at conferences and with the media
Significant out-of-state travel (25% of time on average) will be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Significant experience (5 years+) in or working with state-based coalitions involving a diverse set of stakeholders, including experience in direct engagement with elected officials and other policy-makers
- Significant experience in leadership or management roles
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Capacity to develop innovative, multi-faceted strategies including the ability to identify and analyze trends and opportunities at the state level.
- Experience working with media
- Self-starter, adaptable, able to initiate and coordinate multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a diverse group of people and settings
- Demonstrated commitment to serve low and moderate families and communities of color
- Expertise in CRL’s issue areas, advanced degree in a law, policy, business or related field and Spanish language ability preferred.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter describing why you are a fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include position title as subject of email.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.