Director of Communications
Position Announcement: November 20, 2013
The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization that promotes responsible lending practices and access to fair terms of credit for low-wealth families. CRL was created in 2002 to protect homeownership and family wealth by working to eliminate predatory lending and other abusive financial practices. Our work has helped lead to major changes in lending practices, saving families over $2 billion annually. CRL has more than 40 employees and offices in Durham, NC; Oakland, CA; and in Washington, DC.
CRL is an affiliate of Self-Help, a community development lender founded in 1980 that has provided over $5 billion dollars in financing to help over 70,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, build businesses and strengthen community resources.
This position will be based in Durham NC or Washington DC.
The CRL Director of Communications establishes the strategic direction for CRL’s communications initiatives that promote the organization and its advocacy campaigns. The Director leads a team of media relations, online communications, and advocacy communication staff, and counsels top management on effective communication strategies.
- Establishes the strategic direction of communications initiatives, especially in the areas of advocacy communications, media relations, online communications, and research report publication and dissemination.
- Develops, implements and periodically revises CRL’s comprehensive communications plan(s).
- Leads and coaches an established communications staff that includes a Media Relations Manager, online communications staff, and several communications managers that coordinate messaging and communications campaigns across CRL’s issue portfolio.
- Monitors expenditures and evaluates the effectiveness of all communications initiatives.
- Collaborates with Self Help’s communications staff and with CRL’s development staff on print and online publications to support CRL’s brand management and fundraising efforts.
- Plays a lead role in writing, editing, and overseeing the production and dissemination of CRL publications, including CRL research reports.
- Other projects and duties as needed.
- Bachelors or masters degree in communications, marketing, business or related field;
- Eight (8) years of previous communications experience, including three (3) years of supervisory experience;
- Experience executing in the areas the position oversees, including media relations, advocacy communications, report publication and dissemination, and online communications.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including editing skills.
- Spanish language ability a plus.
- Experience with media monitoring and constituent relationship management software a plus.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter describing why you are a fit for this position to email@example.com. Please include position title as subject of email.