California Legislative Counsel/Associate
Position Announcement: October 2, 2013
The Center for Responsible Lending (CRL) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization that promotes responsible lending practices and access to fair terms of credit for low-wealth families. CRL was created in 2002 to protect homeownership and family wealth by working to eliminate predatory lending and other abusive financial practices. Our work has helped lead to major changes in lending practices, saving families over $2 billion annually. CRL has more than 40 employees and offices in Durham, NC; Oakland, CA; and in Washington, DC.
CRL is an affiliate of Self-Help, a community development lender founded in 1980 that has provided over $5 billion dollars in financing to help over 70,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, build businesses and strengthen community resources.
This position will be based in The position will be located in Sacramento, CA, and will report to our Oakland office.
The Legislative Counsel/Senior Legislative Associate will be a half-time position (20 hours per week) to advance the Center's policy priorities in California. Work schedule will be flexible, but tied to legislative calendar. Counsel title will be contingent on law degree.
- Developing and implementing legislative strategies to enact state policy change in predatory lending policy areas;
- Building or strengthening relationships with key policymakers and their staffs and ally organizations in Sacramento;
- Working closely with Policy Counsel and other team members, providing significant technical assistance in drafting legislation and developing policy recommendations;
- Monitoring regulatory and legislative policy and reporting on significant developments;
- Providing testimony to state legislative and regulatory bodies on predatory lending issues;
- Representing the Center at meetings and conferences.
- Experience and existing relationships with financial services/consumer protection legislative staff and organizations is a plus;
- Experience in legislative drafting and knowledge of consumer lending and/or community development finance and/or related program development experience is a plus;
- Self-starter, able to initiate and coordinate multiple projects with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a diverse group of people
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds.
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter describing why you are a fit for this position, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com. Please reference: “CA Legislative Counsel/Associate.” Position open until filled by qualified candidate.